2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:17 PM
DodgegdoD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help

Ok im looking into buying a 2000 Dodge Ram 4x4 with 52,000 miles on it. Does anything usually go wrong on these trucks around a certain mileage? Any answers will help.

Thanks, josh

Old 07-19-2007, 09:44 PM
DodgegdoD
Default RE: Please help

[8D]

Old 07-19-2007, 10:47 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ha ha what a funny question. you haven't read many of the posts on here yet have you.
absolutely positively nothing goes wrong with these trucks except...
transmission failure
heater core rot out
vacuum leaks
cracked dash
plenum leaks
pinging, spark knock
speed sensor - brake and abs light and no speedo
transfer case chain
limited slip clutch failure
no bus
ball joints
front axle/hub bearings
front u-joints
front axle seals
steering shaft
steering box
track bar
everything about the vacuum cad
crappy headlights
no tow hooks
fuel pump
timing chain

52k is low mileage. look it up on kelly blue book private part and don't overpay.
an expensive repair is bound to be around the corner.
drive it hard and long for a test drive - at least 15 min to test the transmission ($1500-2000)

Old 07-19-2007, 11:02 PM
RamMan4x4
Rookie

I may have one to top all of those...at least for anoyance.

A few months back my truck was making a pinging (metal on metal sound) everytime the suspension would flex...which happens about every 15 seconds. I thought it might be something under the dash, tie wrapped anything that was loose...nope. Thought it might be coming from behind the dash, pulled the entire front cover, instrument cluster, the works off to look...nope. Sounded like it might be coming from under the windshield wiper cover, pulled it off, applied tie wraps...nope. Finally looked at the piece of metal that locks your door into the three different positions when you open it, the bushing around it had cracked and fallen out, secured it...nope. This went on for 3 months and I was almost ready to sell the truck to get rid of it.

I finally parked it and just started pulling stuff off to look (hood, fender, dash cover again, etcc..). Turned out, all the spot welds (4) at one of the inner fender hood supports had broken and would make a surprisingly loud sound when they were squeezed or when the suspension would flex. Four 1/4" bolts, lock washers and lock nuts (I wanted to be sure) later the sound was gone.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:02 AM
DodgegdoD

In fact I just signed up, I thought i'd ask before i'd browse. But it has 52,000 miles and lifed a little bit with different wheels and bigger tires. The dash is already cracked but its in pretty awesome shape cosmetic wise. They are askin 12,995 for it and i still have to run a VIN check on it. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for the help

Old 07-20-2007, 12:14 AM
nhlbill
Veteran

I bought my 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg cab, short bed 4x4 with a 5.2ltr and a 5spd and 48,000 miles for $6900.00 last November from a dealer. It was in excellent condition also, in fact it looked darn near new.

$12,999 sounds way too hgh unless it's a 2500with a CTD. If it's a gasser either Reg Cab or Quad, $7k-10K would be average IMO.

Forget blue book, dealers and even private parties can't sell gas guzzlers now, so you can work a great deal with a bit of patience.

Good luck and welcome to the Ram family (if you buy one). Don't let the other posts scare you. There are some things that go wrong, but if you maintain it properly and take care of it, you can get 200K miles out of it no problem.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:40 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

$13k is real funny. see kellybluebook.com, private party value and put in the equipment it has.
this is about what you would get from insurance if it got totaled. maybe a tad less.
its also what you can expect to get for if you turn around and sell it.
assuming its loaded, its only worth about $9-10k max
Condition Value
Excellent $10,620
Good $9,945
Fair $9,055

[/align] [/align]

Old 07-20-2007, 09:07 AM
rtmorrisjr
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive said this to many people about the price of the truck. I bought my 01' 2500 4x4 360 with 94,000 (higher miles i know) for $8300. The truck is in excellent condition inside and out, no problems with it (knock on wood) except the CEL for the rear O2 sensor, and it has a factory tow and factory plow package. The plow alone adds anywhere from $1500-$2000. Keep that in mind. you should be able to get a truck for a lot cheaper then $13,000 unless, like stated before, its a CTD. then thats about right or even a good deal. Good luck.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: nhlbill

I bought my 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg cab, short bed 4x4 with a 5.2ltr and a 5spd and 48,000 miles for $6900.00 last November from a dealer. It was in excellent condition also, in fact it looked darn near new.

$12,999 sounds way too hgh unless it's a 2500with a CTD. If it's a gasser either Reg Cab or Quad, $7k-10K would be average IMO.

Forget blue book, dealers and even private parties can't sell gas guzzlers now, so you can work a great deal with a bit of patience.

Good luck and welcome to the Ram family (if you buy one). Don't let the other posts scare you. There are some things that go wrong, but if you maintain it properly and take care of it, you can get 200K miles out of it no problem.

No one I have seen has gone by Kelly Blue Book in years. NADA is the closest and most accurate you can get to a vehicle's value. And even then, you have bargaining power when it comes to what the market wants.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:42 AM
Buck Nekkid

I bought my '98 1500 4x4 with 79,000 about a month ago. It's got it all, power seats, am/fm/cassette/CD, fogs, etc. etc. $7500.$13K is waaaaaay too much. You can do better.

Buck Nekkid