2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DIY tranny filter/fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 01:13 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY tranny filter/fluid change

tranny filter/fluid change DIY
done on a 98 5.2(318) 1500 with a 46RE tranny (auto)

1. remove the dozen or so bolts holding the pan on (take them all out but one side then lower it down to slowley let the oil out otherwise youll have a mess) {pan bolts are a 13mm socket}
2. remove the 2 toqurx screws holding the filter on {screws are T20}
3. scrap off all the olf gasket this can be a PITA good gasket scraper will help
4 cleen all the gunk of the magnet in the pan
5 put new filter on {mine was an ATP P/N B-175}
6 line up gasket on pan ( i used a little grease to hold it in place) {be sure to use a new gasket and not RTV or any sealent my filter also came with a new gasket}
7 bolt pan on tq to 25 ft lbs
8 re-fill tranny with aproprate fluid (ATF+4)
ittl take 5-8 quorts depending on how long you let it drain {when i did mine i took the pan off dumped the oil out but had to wate for the right parts before i could put it back together this took about 3 days i had put the pan back on inbetween so nothing would get into my tranny when i took the pan back off it was about 3/4 full again. might be a way to get a little more fluid out when changing it if you can let it sif for a bit}

be sure to check it in nutral with the truck ideling and at opp temp.

DodgeForum.com and myself will not be held accountable for any problems resulting in doing a modification you found on our site. This includes, but is not limited to; faulty outcomes, legal issues, broken parts, undesired outcomes, injuries and so forth.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:42 PM
joshb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it needs to be 13 ft lbs not 25. I broke a bolt using 25

Old 08-15-2009, 06:31 PM
fjmg
Amateur

I am amazed that you broke a bolt before stripping the threads in the alum. case! I stripped two and picked up a heli-coil kit to repair them. However, I used the rubber gasket with metal sleeves at the bolt holes which is alot thicker (about 3x) than the cork gaskets and hence the bolts do not engage all the threads completely. maybe I should use longer bolts?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:45 PM
dblj16380
Veteran

I found out when I rebuilt my trans last year that the cork gasket is designed for the original 727 trans but fits ours (basically the same trans except for hydraulic and no OD) and the rubber gasket with the metal is designed for our 46RE's! Plus the trans pan should have a total of 14 bolts!

Just my $0.02!

Old 09-09-2009, 11:09 PM
CowTownRam

I was chatting with a buddy of mine who was told by 3 different mechanics that they would not touch his automatic tranny to change the filter and fluid. They ALL referred him to see a Tranny shop instead (no not the same shop either).

Have you EVER heard of this before? I mean, sounds like a piece-o-cake job to do. Unbolt the tranny pan, drain, clean pan, put on new gasket, replace and retorque bolts and refill....where is the difficulty or danger in that???

Why in the world would someone HAVE TO take it to a tranny shop?

Old 09-10-2009, 01:15 AM
xray99
Banned

Also a good idea to check the bolts after a few days and retorque, as needed.
They often work themselves out a bit after a new gasket install, and once the fluid forces itself out through any weak spot, your screwed and have to do it again.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:12 AM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by CowTownRam
I was chatting with a buddy of mine who was told by 3 different mechanics that they would not touch his automatic tranny to change the filter and fluid. They ALL referred him to see a Tranny shop instead (no not the same shop either).

Have you EVER heard of this before? I mean, sounds like a piece-o-cake job to do. Unbolt the tranny pan, drain, clean pan, put on new gasket, replace and retorque bolts and refill....where is the difficulty or danger in that???

Why in the world would someone HAVE TO take it to a tranny shop?
I think they say that because if theyre changing it and they notice pieces of clutches, etc., in your pan, they can't do anything about it. They would rather refer you to somebody who could take care of it right then and there, than bolt it back up and your transmission go out the next day. Because if it were me, i would have gone right back to that shop and blamed them . It's more of a job security thing in my mind.

Quick Reply: DIY tranny filter/fluid change