2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

More Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007 | 09:28 PM
glwales
Default More Questions

Thanks to all who have replied to my previous post. I have the new oil sending unit and will post when I get to install it. working wierd hours latley.
So here is the new question: I noticed in the engine compartment a big open space with some cut wires hanging that appear to have been cut. So I take out the trusty Haynes repair manual and start looking at pictures and find that the "The controller Antilock brake (electronic control module) and the hydraulic control unit are missing, The book says it is for the ABS system. Now why would anyone remove the ABS system? Is this some kind of a mod for better performance????
Seems this would be an important item to keep around is it not? Should I call the dealer I bought the truck from (only had it for about a week)or just live with it?
Anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Old 07-25-2007 | 10:33 PM
spaz_22
Captain
Default RE: More Questions

the dealer should have replaced it. But anyways, some people don't like abs. They feel that they can stop better without it. If you remove it, it doesn't affect your braking performance at all, besides not having abs anymore. Also some people that wheel there trucks alot don't like it as well. And some people think that it's just a waste of space and plumping.

Old 07-29-2007 | 07:04 AM
glwales

Thanks Spaz_22, I checked with the local dealer tech people and they said pretty much the same thing you did. I guess it does not matter as the truck has pretty good stopping power just gotta remember to pump da brakes in the snow.

Old 07-29-2007 | 11:11 AM
Tani1500
Champion

im not sure exactly what those parts do since ive never messed with mine yet. but our trucks came with two options. one, the most common, is RWABS ( rear wheel abs) or the other was 4 wheel abs. some of the stuff in the front could been for the front abs system and they just cut it off. still leaving you with rear.... or u never had that stuff to begin with. an easy way to tell is too look at your front hubs and see if you have a wire running into them for the sensor.

Old 07-29-2007 | 11:36 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

nevermind..

Quick Reply: More Questions