2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: A poll
craftsman
61.19%
duralast
0%
mac
1.49%
snap-on
29.85%
other- please respond
7.46%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

the best hand tool

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Fox Fader
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: the best hand tool

ORIGINAL: mikecjn

I got a set of Metwrenchs about 10 years ago and use them for just about everything. Other than those I use Craftsman. Father got me my first set when I was just a kid and have taken back quite a few ratchets over the years with no hassle.
Most likely my sons first set of tools will be a Crasftsman set.
My son is getting hand-me-downs from me slowly that are not craftsman. He's lucky to get that, my Dad didn't hand me down any tools, I had to buy my own. I don't know how many thousands of dollars I have in tools now.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:16 PM
95ramdan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Craftsman for sure. I have alot of broken Mac and Snap-on stuff. Oh and if anyone is thinking of getting anything Armstrong, dont. I broke armstrong stuff on a daily basis untilI ran out of tools to break.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:06 PM
WesV
Rookie

The only reason I voted Craftsman as they are the best bang for the buck for the hobbiest. Some stuff I will only go Snap-On such as chisels and punches. The service you get on the Snap-On, Mac,Matco, etc are purely based on your dealer. My Snap-On dealer will have me a new tool to replace a broken one within the hour at my door (good dealer.) The sears we have right close is a very small one, so to replace most of my Craftsman hand tools I have to go to the one across the mountian and 70 miles away.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:49 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

I can't recall the last time I broke a snap-on anything. I have hadissues with craftsman tools getting warranty stuff done. By far craftsman is the best bang for the buck. Ok, I'm a coffee and a tool snob.

As an aside, most of my impact sockets are Allen. They use the same flank drive, and are cheaper than snap on. They are normally found only in the midwest, but Northern Tool carries them as well. American made, and Ram tough.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Huh, doesn't look like it posted this the first time I tried...

Anyways I said I have all Craftsman but I like Snap On's Air Tool's, I've used tons of different ones (Die Grinder, Impact, Air Hammer/Chizzle, Ratchet) and they're great. Intergrol Rand always makes some really beefy impacts

Old 08-09-2007, 12:09 AM
cdusthockey
Veteran

Craftsman all the way, there cheap and if they break or stop working you drive to sears and walk away with a new one. pretty easy if you ask me

Old 08-09-2007, 05:43 PM
randell911

the only thing i felt I absolutley had to have Snap on was a ball joint press. when you own a dodge have the tools to rebuild the front end. small price to pay really.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Craftsman are my first choice, mostly because of their exchange program. Snap-on are really good quality too, but exchange is a little tougher, and I think they are more expensive. I once found a tool box on the side of the highway that was spilled on the ground. Being as there was no way to determine who it belonged to, I counted myself fortunate for finding a set of tools and just kept them. Most of them were Craftsman, and in pretty bad shape. I took over half of them into Sears and walked out with all brand new tools. That turned out to be a good find.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:00 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i picked other....i like WESTWARD tools my self...dunno why exactley never had a prob taking a woren out or borken tool back and they last good its mostley all i have at home and work...oh thats another reson no one else has them at work so i know what ones are mine

Old 08-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

I used to sell tools at Sears part time back in the day and I can tell you guys this much. Craftsman, Matco, snap and one other major brand ( I can't remember) are all poured in the same foundry with the same metal compounds. They are the same tools. They are just poured into different molds with different names on them. Crafstman power tools are made by Black and Decker who also makes Dewalt. When something Craftsman breaks, you take it to the store and bingo you get a new one. If you get in good with a salesman who knows the system, you can get just about anything you want warranty replaced. My big contractors who bought endlessly and padded my commission checks only bought from me by the time I left because I was willing to bend over backwards to help them because they made me so much money. Snap On and Matco are great tools, just not at great prices. You will pay alot more for the tools for what? The luxury of having them come to you to replace the tool, when they have time. Snap on for sure does offer some better services, they can build you custom tool kits all custom laser engraved and in custom foam curt pelican cases, but thats at an extreme premium. Like I said they are all the same tool, you decide how much you want to pay.

Quick Reply: the best hand tool