2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: A poll
craftsman
61.19%
duralast
0%
mac
1.49%
snap-on
29.85%
other- please respond
7.46%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

the best hand tool

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 09:46 PM
2k10HemiRam
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: the best hand tool

I vote for craftsman because I've used them in the past and when I finally get around to buying my own tools, I'm only going to buy craftsman. I will say that snap on tools are pretty good because thats what I use at work. They use to buy craftsman tools back in the day but craftsman terminated their contract with the air force because they got sick of replacing all the broken tools [8D]

Old 02-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Joedodge63
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't anyone have Proto? I have A lot of Proto, Matsrecraft, Craftsman, and even Benchtop (Kmart sold them) and I must say, The benchtop were very simular to Snap-on and same warranty.I replace a very large screw driver (I call it a prybar)from Proto and rebuilt one 3/4 rachet.My Proto's are older them me, hand me downs from my granfather. The rest I bought myself over the years and I have no real complaints. Just have to use the tool for what it was made for. Harborfreight stuff... some good some bad. Bought a ball joint press for my u joints just to day. Bought a Nutsert tool (like a rivet gun) at harborfreightand got to use it once, put an insert in the front framrail of my metro and the tool bent all to hell....Pittsburg brand... junk!

Old 02-02-2008, 09:12 PM
zddp8868
Professional

snap on hands down. craftsman makes a great tool but sorry.

my favorite type of tool: ratcheting wrenches!

Old 02-02-2008, 09:17 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Craftsmen. Best warranty, never had a problem exchanging them. Also, there's a sears about 10 minutes from me. Great quality and best bang for the buck. And believe me, I've broken my fair share of their tools, But i still love them.

As far as ultimate quality snap-on is the way to go. But, I can't justify the price as of yet. When I have my own shop, possibly then.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:16 PM
1BigRamaniac
Veteran

I actually broke a Buffalo ratchet. That Christmas I got my first set of Craftsman. I still have it and have proudly expanded it. Even if I had to buy one wrench at a time!

I really want to get a 3/4 inch set one of these days.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Tarner
Professional

Craftsmen Made in USA and the rest speaks for itself.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Tarner
Professional

I have proto structural wrenches (spuds), long handle half inch ratchet, and crescent for woork. I haven't had any problems with them. Believe me Ironworkers treat tools bad too. LOL!!!

Old 02-02-2008, 11:21 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Craftsman to me is the best bang for the buck.

However Snap On is top of the line. I agree about the warranty though. Sears you just drive to any day of the week. You don't have to wait a week for the Snap On truck to come by.

If you are using your tools daily Snap On might be slightly better but for the people that work on their trucks once a month don't need Snap On stuff. I think some of the Snap On stuff is slightly stronger and stuff like their rachets are supposed to be better designs. Honestly though there were several Snap On tools I used when I worked at a shop that I had at home made by Craftsman and liked the Craftsman better.

I had a friend that said his 13mm Craftsman socket was loose on the bolts though where as the Snap on fit tight. I don't know if this is true or not as I never saw it personally just going by what he said.

As far as Snap On impact tools though I've never seen one that I have really liked all that much. Infact haven't seen one I like much more than my Craftsman. However I love the Ingersoll Rand 2135Ti. We used to use it at the shop as the owner had 2 of them. He also loved them. The other guy working their had a Matco one he really liked which seemed good but just to me didn't have the feel of the IR. The owner also had a Cornwell and several Snap Ons none of which I liked. The Snap On's just seemed weak and didn't have a feel to them that fit my hand. The Cornwell I would say was okay it just wasn't as powerful as the IR but it felt okay in my hand. However it started acting up so that even when you weren't pressing the trigger it still spun. Not super fast but still spun.

This being said my tool collection is probably 90% Craftsman.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:07 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Andi
a female 1994 Ram 4x4 owner
who was also a writer for the off road magazines
once wrote that she advised other female owners
to always walk into the Dodge Dealerships
carrying the official Dodge Ram FSM book...all 1600 pages of it.

Andi claimed when a service manager saw the unusual sight
of a woman carrying a Ram FSM they would forget about trying
to cheat her with un-needed repairs or other bs.

In a similar way,
my younger brother Don claims
that if you want to avoid bs
at Kenworth or Catepillar parts counters
walk in with a quarter inch drive Mac torque wrench
sticking out of your shirt pocket beside your pen.

When the parts counter "monkeys"
not only see a torque wrench
but the highly accurate and dependable
Mac brand in the rare small size
they don't try to feed you any bs.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:22 AM
TheForce55555
All Star

Well I would have to go with S&K, they make the best ratchets out there in my opinion

Quick Reply: the best hand tool