2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

exhaust fitment difference between the years???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 11:13 PM
besserspat
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust fitment difference between the years???

OK, Im contemplating a performance exhaust replacement for my Ram its a 1997 sport std cab reg cab 4x4.

the stock cat rattles a little bit when warm and the flowmaster with duals on it is WAY too loud and rusted.

The exhaust kit I am buying is the Magnaflow 23285 (direct fit converter with pipes), and the Magnaflow 15771 (cat back duals), the problem is Magnaflow says the cat back system is for 98-01 trucks??

I thought the second gen rams were pretty much all the same ?? Can you guys tell me what would be different in the cat back system between 1997 and 1998?

If there is any one running this 15771 magnaflow system on his ram, I would like to know if it clears the trailer hitch (factory equipped tow package).

thanks

Old 08-09-2007, 12:21 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Default RE: exhaust fitment difference between the years???

There are 2 types on 2nd Gen's kinda. The 94-97, and the 98-01. The only difference I really thought was the interior. There very well could be a difference in the exhausts, but stuff like spare tire, factory reciever, they're all in the same spots.

If your looking at an exhaust like that I would just recommend taking the truck to a shop and having the exhaust custom bent with the cat and muffler you want. Its not not expensive and its a custom fit.

Also good call on replacing the cat since its rattling. The rattle is a sign of it going bad / collapsing. Mine did it for a long time until I was driving down the highway one day and it totally collapsed, which more or less suffocated the engine and it wouldn't run.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:12 AM
besserspat
Amateur

I dont want to take the truck to a muffler shop, I want my entire exhaust system to be made of stainless and I want it mandrel bent, which is what Magnaflow offers me.

The truck is in top original condition ,no rust underside at all and the loud all rusted exhaust system on it just doesnt do justice to this clean truck.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:58 PM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not only do 98-01 rams have a 3" tailpipe but of course the tailpipe hangers are different also.
Dynomax does not make a direct bolt-on catback for 94-97 rams. The 98-01 system will fit your truck but the hangers won't match. To make a really nice system, maybe you could install the 98-01 hangers on your truck.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:14 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think you'll notice much of a difference between mandrel and non mandrel bent tubingon a 3" exhaust until you get your truckproducing over 350 HP

http://www.magnaflow.com/wideopen/performdata.asp

Old 08-10-2007, 12:45 AM
besserspat
Amateur

Its mandrel from the front pipes to the tail pipes, its 2 1\2 " tailpipes (dual cat back system), and the two front pipes being mandrel bent will make a difference because the stock ones are terrible in the bends(much smaller radius). The stainless steel speak for itself on a truck that see alot of harsh weather.

It is possible that I wont be able to tell any difference in between the two systems once the new one installed in terms of power or mileage increases, but I want to replace the exhaust system the previous owner had fitted,because I am not happy with it, so since I have to do it anyway, why not using the best design as possible?

Quick Reply: exhaust fitment difference between the years???