2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

95 5.9L Idle problem and stalling

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 04:20 PM
st.joe68
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 5.9L Idle problem and stalling

I've read it many times before and here it is again. My 95 just starting stalling at stops. I get code 32 and 37. 32 because my catalytic converter plug awhile back and fried the valve, 37 not so sure of. I have tried swapping the MAP, IAC, TPS, Cap and Rotor, tested the Intake air temp sensor, tested plug wires, andcleaned plugs. The truck smells very rich at low rpm and idles very rough. I checked the timing, it appeared to be around 5 degrees ATDC (and fluctuating, probably due to lope?). I have not checked the fuel pressure yet. I've seen a lot of post similar to this but no solutions. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:34 PM
2500 mopar
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 95 5.9L Idle problem and stalling

Did the problem start for no reason or had you or someone else done any work on the engine? My thought is that someone may have bumped the fuel injecters, i have heared that if the fuel injecters are dirty or if they are not very close to a 90 degree angle to the fuel rail then the injecters "spit" fuel funny, causing rought idol, in time could cause stalling if the injecters are dirty.

The following users liked this post:
$Mario1974 (11-14-2023)
Old 08-18-2007, 06:10 PM
ibaezpardo
Professional

I tried everything, just like you but only found solution when replaced the O2 sensor. Somebody was woking in my truck for catalytic removed and they damaged the O2 sensor. It was final solution and it was driving me crazy along a month. Good luck.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:30 PM
st.joe68

This just started for no reason last Tuesday. I perform all service on my truck. I believe that the injector plugs are approx. perpendicular to the fuel rail. I have unplugged the O2 sensor, this should put the computer into closed loop, no difference. I am starting to wonder if the fuel pressure regulator in the pump is faulty or the cam pickup in the distributor, maybe the crank position sensor? Keep throwing ideas at me and I'll give them a try.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:54 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

check your spark plugs and see if any one of them looks different than the others. you may have a leaky injector dumping gas. also check the oil for any smell of gas.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:52 PM
st.joe68

No leaky injectors, when I checked my plugs they were all burning good. I also unplugged the injectors sequentially to determine if this could be occurring. I am going to run fuel pressure tests and vacuum tests today -

Old 08-19-2007, 02:08 PM
2500 mopar
Veteran

when is the last time you replaced your fuel filter, that could be part of the problem, lack of pressure, in a 1995 you deffinately should have replaced the fuel filter by now even if its not the problem, if you dont know where the fuel filter is located its in the fuel pump assembly, yeah that means you have to drop the tank.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:37 PM
st.joe68

well, the problem is fixed. The good'ol tried and true 'starting fluid' test indicated that I had a good size vacuum leak toward the rear of the intake around the EGR valve. I pulled the valve and it was fried, along with the gasket. A simple homemade block off gasket remedied the problem. That was well worth the 2 days of trouble shooting. The root cause of this has to do with the cat. converter plugging up 3 years ago. The back pressure cooked the EGR soleniod and now it's evident that the valve it self got a little cooked. Thnaks for all the suggestions! This is a really good forum.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:21 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

At idle with the OBD-I PCM computer system
the O2 sensor is not used when cold
so a rough idle that begins after warm up is a clue.

The 1995 also has an EGR valve in the very back of the engine
that slowly corrodes at the 'pintle valve seat'
so that exhaust gas leaks in at idle
which can make it rough.
Replacement EGR valve is about $140 at dealership.

One very knowledgeable poster on another forum years ago played around with the cam timing on a 1995 5.9 Ram by purchasing the offset keyways that Chrysler sells that either advance or retard the setting of the timing chain and gears. I can't remember whether he advanced or retarded by a few degrees but i do remember he claimed it made the idle 'Lexus smooth'

Quick Reply: 95 5.9L Idle problem and stalling