2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2wd traction problems! need help from offroaders

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 04:48 PM
bigmanram
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2wd traction problems! need help from offroaders

Ok guys i need yalls help. I got a 2wd lwb ram 1500 and the traction on this truck sometimes just stinks. i know it will never go like a 4wd but i gota improve it some how. for normal driving it does ok, but there are just times i need it to hook up better. im pretty sure its an open rear end , but would a locker or lsd really help? or is my problem the lwb and the wider tires im running(265's) i have a problem where we go camping on a few of the gravel hills, i just get bout 1/2 way up and spin out.....and it justpisses me offcuz i can drive a front wheel drive car right up it. also there are places where u got make a 90 degree turn onto the highway from a dead stop on a hill ........ the problem is i can always feel the rear end trying to break loose when i pull out.any sugestion would be apreciated.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:32 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: 2wd traction problems! need help from offroaders

i had the same problem. had to put it in 4wd on the wimpiest of hills.
tires do make a big difference. a good set of mud grips will do a lot better than all terrains.

this will solve your problem.
http://www.powertrax.com/noslip.html

described in detail here
http://www.drivetrain.com/noslipusersguide.html

purchase here for $389. chrylser 9.25 31 spline.
(not the best web site in the world) - but cheapest prices.
note there is a difference between powertrax lockright and powertrax noslip.
http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/

and install like this
https://dodgeforum.com/m_697667/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm
pics on pages 2 and 3

Old 08-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Better tires will help you 100% as will and LSD or better yet a locker.
Also before you start spending money on all that ****, just get some 2X10's and make yourself a little square box around your wheel wells on the inside of your bed then throw a couple hundred pounds worth of sand bags in the back. Should cost you about 20 bucks. 2-300 pounds right over top of the axel will do you wonders in low traction situations (Trust me I used to have a 2 wheel drive ranger)

Old 08-19-2007, 07:21 PM
tazman6789
Veteran

hey dhvaughan that install link is dead

Old 08-19-2007, 08:12 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

oops. thanks. fixed.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:40 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Before you do anything, find out if you have an LSD that may not be working.

There should be a sticker somewhere on your vehicle that tells you whether or not you have it. On my 2001 itis inside the glovebox; check there first. On the older models I think guys have said there might be a sticker under the hood near where the belt diagram is, but I don't have an older one to be sure.

If you have an LSD and it's not working(because you'respinning out all the time),get it fixed soon! I found this in my diff case:
https://dodgeforum.com/m_907181/tm.htm

It was part of the no slip clutch. I got lucky nothing got caught up in the gears.

I have hearda few people not recommend a full locker with a 2WD, as it rides rougher on pavement. If you do more gravel, trail stuff, get an Auburn LSD or a Detriot TruTrac. I have the TruTrac and love it. The rear wheel barely lets go before it engages.BTW, I run265PathfinderLux'sand the brokenLSD made all the difference. I used to let fly on dry pavement.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:00 PM
Bigdodge98
Rookie

i got a nice set of bridgestone dueler at's on my truck 305/75/16 there great even out of four wheel drive

Old 08-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

I locker will be the best hands down. Richmond makes great ones. Lock-Rite is what they call theirs, you won't be disappointed with it.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:35 PM
bigmanram
Amateur

guys i apreciate all the tips and help. if i intsall a locker is the rearendgonna try to slide outaround coners on wet pavement. ive allways heard that posi do that but i dont know for sure. i looked at eaton electic locker and air lockers so i could just lock it down when i needed (so i would loses the rear on wet curves) but at over a grand its out of my budget right now. it is a mostly highway truck but i hate not being able to go to the easiest offroad places and would like to have a lil more traction for the winter

Old 08-20-2007, 07:28 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

if you drive normal there is no problem with a locker on dry and/or rain/wet roads. it will lock when you are going straight and it will unlock when you have turning pressure. the worst problem i have is driving around in the yard it tends to chew up the grass.

if you've got a lead foot and and you like to spin the tires, or you are driving in ice/snow, or driving fast on a muddy road, or any other condition where there is little or no traction, then the locker may not unlock in a turn, and you may slip sideways. this would be true of all lockers.

the nice thing about the powertrax is that its not overly expensive at $400. its do it yourself. and if you ever want to remove it you can also do that yourself and return it to stock. it is recommended only for stock horsepower and tires < 33 in. for weekend visits to deer camp, fishing, camping, etc it'll take you a lot farther down the road before you get stuck. now all this does is keep both wheels pulling instead of just one. so you'll also need to consider your tires, weight in the rear of the truck, and have a buddy, tow strap, come-along, cb radio/cell phone, etc as needed.

Quick Reply: 2wd traction problems! need help from offroaders