2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Break lines failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 06:34 PM
mikecjn
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Break lines failure

I don't think you are gonna have much luck...
I just replaced 3 on my wifes 98 Taurus and will be replacing all 4 on my 2000 Ram this year. Talked to Napa and they have been seeing it on all makes within the last 3-4 years. I was told that since they started using the Calcium Chloride to pretreat the roads it is doing incredibly more to corrode breaklines.
Here in Maine as of last year they were changing the inspection laws to try to catch the lines before they blow out. If the rust is flaking, I was told they can fail them now.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:09 AM
Bklyn Dodger

Excellent point Mike,
and making it part of a state inspection isn't just a good idea, its a potentially life saving idea especially when its someone's child orother family memberthat could be in "harms way"!

Thanks,
Walt

Old 02-29-2008, 05:04 AM
JBs DAK
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had to replace a section of brake line on my '96 Ram last year due to rust.
(I SHOULD start replacing ALL of it). But, my truck is used for plowing in the winter.
It turns solid white with salt all the time. (Poor-truck).
My '91 Mustang has never seen the snow & very little rain has the same brake-line
problem. There is no rust anywhere on that car other than just the lines. I replaced all
the lines on that car with Stainless-steel,.. Problem solved.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Bklyn Dodger

My 1968 Corvette which i've owned since 1970 is used just like your 91' Mustang, andthe only lines i've changed were the flexible lines to the moving suspensionspindles and rear control arms.
All the original steel lines were painted semi flat blackstortly after I started turning it into a hotrod by late 1971 early 72', and by the early 90's I replacedall 4 brake calibers withcalibers that were up-graded with s/s inserts after theoriginal caliberpiston bores could no longer hold a seal due to wear and a few hone jobs during rebuilds.

[IMG]local://upfiles/84903/908F3524EF974DABAC694ECF14707FA8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bklyn Dodger

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

Moved to 2nd gen section, bump to the top.
Silver Dodge,
I guess being new here I don't understand your reply.
I moved this entire thread from the generic Dodge Ram section to the 2nd Gen Ram section since it was originally about a 2nd Gen Ram. Then I bumped it to the top of the list so it would get read more.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Bklyn Dodger

[/quote]

I moved this entire thread from the Dodge Truck section to the 2nd Gen section since it was originally about a 2nd Gen Ram. Then I bumped it to the top of the list so it would get read more.

[/quote]
Thank you,
It took me alittle while tofigured that out after my post that "I didn't understand", but I do now after learning how to navigate a little better thru your forum.
I'm still learning but hopefully my future errors will be small..[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 02-29-2008, 03:12 PM
8t5gt
Veteran

yeah i have had my rear axle line blow out on my, its orignal so i dont blame anyone but driving on salty roads in ontario. im going to replace my other axle line and others that look bad. i have to top up my master every week so i think my cylinders are leakin big time

Quick Reply: Break lines failure