2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Battery or Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 09:45 PM
RodMillenFan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery or Starter?

I have a 1996 Ram 1500 with the 5.2 V8. Over the past month or so, it has been hard to start on random occasions. At first I thought it was a battery issue... it would seem to have a hard time turning over, so I'd try it a couple times. The first couple cranks would be barely more than a click and nothing... then VROOM, it started up like there wasn't a problem.

On a whim, I pulled the battery cables and cleaned off the terminals just to see if that was it. While I was there, I pulled the caps off just to make surethebattery hadn'tcracked and run itself dry (I've had that happen before). It looked fine, so I hooked it back up. Same problem.

Does this sound like a battery problem, or more likely a starter motor problem? I'm starting (no pun intended) to lean toward the starter. Thoughts?

Oh, and the other thing... once I hooked it back up, it started on the third crank... but then stalled. I cranked it again... started fine, then stalled. Third time, started to stall, so I revved to 2500RPM for a few seconds and let off the throttle. Started to stall again, so I revved it to 2500RPM for another few seconds. After a couple repeats it stayed running and hasn't had a problem.

I was wondering if unhooking the battery reset some ECU's or otherwise tweaked with the FI until it had a few seconds to run and such. Yeah, yeah... that's me just guessing. Thoughts on that problem?

Thanks in advance for y'all's help. I've owned this Dodge for about 5-6 years but I have only now joined this forum... hope to be more active soon.

RMF

Old 08-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Battery or Starter?

Sounds like a battery issue to me. Have you put a voltmeter on the battery?

Old 08-19-2007, 10:05 PM
mdelfunt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I suspected the battery, place some jumper cables on it and see if its any different. If the starter is bad, jumping it off wouldn't make any difference.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:39 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my guess too would be the batt or a week alt not charging it fully, most shops and even parts stores will load test a batt to tell you how it is. they test to see how many amps they can draw off while maintaning voltage, you can still have good (12.4-12.6 volts) and have a bad bat if the bat tests out ok (whitch i dont think it will) have your alt output tested

Quick Reply: Battery or Starter?