2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Timing

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 01:34 PM
2001dodgeram1500
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing

How would you find out how far off your timing is?
My dad seems to think my timing is off by a few degree's.
but we couldn't seem to find anymarks on the harmonic balancer to use the timing gun.

is it all done by computer then you turn the distributor according to the reading it gives?
any help or answersare appreciated.

thanks

Old 08-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Timing

Timing is controlled by the PCM. The trick is to line up the #1 Cyl mark on the camshaft position sensor located inside of the distributor. This will involved a removal of the air box and maybe even the throttle body. Be prepared for A LOT of cussing. Get the crank positioned so that marks indicate #1 and then look at the alignment of the rotor. I had to use a mirror and a screwdriver as an indicator that it was aligned. Took about 3 hours of cussing, buttoning, and unbottoning. If anyone has a better method, I'd love to see it.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:41 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Best not to mess w/ the distributor. It only controls fuel sync. Timing is controlled by the pcm. The easiest wasy to check timing is with a scanner. There are timing marks. They are @ ~1:30 if you are facing the harmonic balancer. If you think your pop is right, you may have the death flash.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Gary-L
Legend

ORIGINAL: mopowar

Best not to mess w/ the distributor. It only controls fuel sync. Timing is controlled by the pcm. The easiest wasy to check timing is with a scanner. There are timing marks. They are @ ~1:30 if you are facing the harmonic balancer. If you think your pop is right, you may have the death flash.
If the distributor is off, then the timing will be out of whack. I forgot to mention that if the rotor does not line up with #1, loosen the distributor and rotate the base as needed.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:30 PM
2001dodgeram1500
Professional

ummm... whats the death flash and where do i look for this
i have heard of it in a thread before
i may do a search and see what i come up with but, feel free to give input on this subject.

i did the search and mine does not have the death flash
it lacks power throughout all gears i can put the pedal to the floor and use all of my weight
and the truck does not downshift.

also my throttle cable seems to be sagging a little bit; could this be part of the problem?
if so, how do i fix it?

Old 08-20-2007, 08:31 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: VWandDodge

If the distributor is off, then the timing will be out of whack. I forgot to mention that if the rotor does not line up with #1, loosen the distributor and rotate the base as needed.
NOoooo! That #1 mark on the black plate underneath the rotor button has exactly- NOTHING- to do with ignition timing. If you start messing with the distributor you will soon be hunting down someone w/ a DRBIII or a MT2500 scanner. That reference mark is there solely to make sure you do not install the camshaft position sensor backwards. That sensor controls injector timing. The crank sensor controls ignition timing by reading 'windows' on the flexplate. The fuel sync setting (distributor) is very sensitive and if you have messed w/ it you will very likely get a performance gain by having it set back correctly w/ a DRBIII (dealer) or a Snap-on MT2500 or Solaris (independant shop).

Old 08-20-2007, 08:42 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 2001dodgeram1500

ummm... whats the death flash and where do i look for this
i have heard of it in a thread before
i may do a search and see what i come up with but, feel free to give input on this subject.

i did the search and mine does not have the death flash
it lacks power throughout all gears i can put the pedal to the floor and use all of my weight
and the truck does not downshift.

also my throttle cable seems to be sagging a little bit; could this be part of the problem?
if so, how do i fix it?
If you have a sticker on the pcm that says "authorized software update......" then you have the death flash. Starting half way through the 2000 production year vehicles equipped with the 5.2 and 5.9 Magnum engines came from the factory with the flash/update. It was meant to compensate for the chknsht plenum gasket that DC put on the intake manifold. By pulling timing out of the motor they were able to control predetonation (engine ping) caused by carbon build-up -caused by the engine sucking oil through the intake plenum.You can correct it in 4 ways:
1) Superchips
2) Hypertech
3) Custom flash- B&G or Tom Fox
4) Crank position sensor mod- least desirable IMO

Old 08-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Gary-L
Legend

ORIGINAL: VWandDodge

NOoooo! That #1 mark on the black plate underneath the rotor button has exactly- NOTHING- to do with ignition timing. If you start messing with the distributor you will soon be hunting down someone w/ a DRBIII or a MT2500 scanner. That reference mark is there solely to make sure you do not install the camshaft position sensor backwards. That sensor controls injector timing. The crank sensor controls ignition timing by reading 'windows' on the flexplate. The fuel sync setting (distributor) is very sensitive and if you have messed w/ it you will very likely get a performance gain by having it set back correctly w/ a DRBIII (dealer) or a Snap-on MT2500 or Solaris (independant shop).
Oh hell, my truck runs like a raped ape and I didn't have that set-up right when I reinstalled it after my engine rebuild. Once I got the rotor lined up with the mark, I never had any more issues.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:45 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Who knows maybe looking over the top with a mirror, you nailed it

On mine, with the sync set to +1, If you were to draw a line perpindicular to the cam sensor so that it hit the center of the rotor button, the mark would be ~.5" back (counter-clockwise). On the scanner, turning the distributor ~5* (guessing)took it from +8 to +1.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Who knows maybe looking over the top with a mirror, you nailed it

On mine, with the sync set to +1, If you were to draw a line perpindicular to the cam sensor so that it hit the center of the rotor button, the mark would be ~.5" back (counter-clockwise). On the scanner, turning the distributor ~5* (guessing)took it from +8 to +1.
Like I said, it was a bitch and took a lot of cussing. I had to play with turning the distributor *just right* until I nailed it. It was my sister's suggestion and donation of a mirror that helped.

Quick Reply: Timing