2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Michelin Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 07:47 PM
AAA4948
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin Tires?

When I bought my truck, it had 265/70R16 Goodyear Wrangler RT/S. They were about 40% tread and I had a very hard time getting traction in rain, so there was no way that I was going to run them in snow. I then bought a set of 265/70R16 Cooper Discover ST. They work pretty well, great in deep snow, fair on packed snow, and much better in rain. I'm still looking for a better tire. I don't like how the Cooper Discover ST's look; they are too aggressive and make it look like a beater truck. I would like to go back to a smoother tread, but still want great traction in rain and snow. I know that BFG All Terrains are incredible, but again they look too aggressive. I've heard excellent reviews about Michelins and know that they are more costly than others. Can anyone recommend Michelin's to me? Or else I will probably buy a set of 265/70R16 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S's. Thank you.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:07 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Michelin Tires?

ORIGINAL: AAA4948

When I bought my truck, it had 265/70R16 Goodyear Wrangler RT/S. They were about 40% tread and I had a very hard time getting traction in rain, so there was no way that I was going to run them in snow. I then bought a set of 265/70R16 Cooper Discover ST. They work pretty well, great in deep snow, fair on packed snow, and much better in rain. I'm still looking for a better tire. I don't like how the Cooper Discover ST's look; they are too aggressive and make it look like a beater truck. I would like to go back to a smoother tread, but still want great traction in rain and snow. I know that BFG All Terrains are incredible, but again they look too aggressive. I've heard excellent reviews about Michelins and know that they are more costly than others. Can anyone recommend Michelin's to me? Or else I will probably buy a set of 265/70R16 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S's. Thank you.
So what are you saying is that guys running aaggressive tire on there truck is a beater truck ? [sm=huh.gif]

Old 08-24-2007, 10:41 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you'll be happy with the Michelins,

I got all over one of the guys at discount tire co. because I gotless than 30K out of a tire that's warrantied for 60Kon the last two sets. The store Manager told me the Michelins they put on consistantly get closer to end of the warranty than any other tires they sell. He puts them on his truck, that's good enough for me.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:53 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Currently I sell michelin and bfg tires at Costco so Im kinda familear with the brand. As far as the michelin tires go, the two best are the LTX M/S (which I feel would be best for you, due to the "agressive" tread block design and good daily driver charecteristics) The other suitable michelin tire would be the cross terrain. Thats designed more for suv's than pickup trucks, due to the fact that most suvs are never used for what they were built for. They are, however, the smoothest, quietest, and longest lasting highway truck tire on the market, and is (to my recolection) the only tire with a 65,000 mile warranty for a truck, aside from the goodyear lineup(though the mileage warranty is really just superficial more than anything else.)

Old 08-24-2007, 11:05 PM
AAA4948

Thanks guys, this was some great feedback that I was looking for. I'll probably run these Coopers through this winter as they only have 5,000 miles on them and still have 12/32" of tread (13/32" new).

About the aggressive tires and beater comment, I saw a very nice 2001 green QC Sport. Very nice truck, but had 305 mud terrains. Just overkill for my taste.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:30 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: AAA4948

Thanks guys, this was some great feedback that I was looking for. I'll probably run these Coopers through this winter as they only have 5,000 miles on them and still have 12/32" of tread (13/32" new).

About the aggressive tires and beater comment, I saw a very nice 2001 green QC Sport. Very nice truck, but had 305 mud terrains. Just overkill for my taste.
Cant ever go wrong with BFG AT's

Old 08-25-2007, 12:42 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

i run cooper on mine now and did real good last winter but this winter im gonna run the sst cooper 315/75r 16.....bf is a damn good tire and the wear is nice the super swamper tire kinda scares me ....

Old 08-25-2007, 01:05 AM
Cereal Killer
Champion

Super Swampers are the way to go. Nothing wrong with making your truck able to go anywhere [8D]

Old 08-26-2007, 01:14 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I used to work at a tire shop that sold Michelin's. The owner loved them and ran them on his vehicles along with reccomending them to everyone. The other guy there seemed to like them okay. I've had 3 sets on differn't vehicles but all car tires never truck tires and can say I don't really like them. They seem to squeel easily go around turns even at low speeds and don't seem to get the best traction imo. Although they do seem to ride decent and last quite a while. Imo for car tires Toyo's are much better and thats what I run now. For truck tires idk as I haven't run them but I am weary of them after not liking their car tires. Some people seem to love them even the car tires but I personally wasn't crazy about them. If you just want a long lasting decent riding tire they are good though. For trucks I like the aggresive tire look and Michelin doesn't make anything as aggresive as I'd like to run.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:50 PM
mooseariss

I have run Remington Tires in the size your looking at. They aren't too aggresive looking (I personally think) and they will do everything you want then to do. Only thing is, they can be hard to find. But when you do, it's really worth the money!

Quick Reply: Michelin Tires?