2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 2500 Suddenly wont turn over

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 07:29 AM
xxtrurida75xx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 2500 Suddenly wont turn over

I have a 1997 ram 2500, and i was doing some small repairs to get it ready for inspection such as, new light bulbs, replace the horn, a bunch of small stuff. The truck was running fine and i had planned to bring to to inspection the next morning. The next day i got in the truck, turned the key, and nothing... engine didnt turn no clicking or anything. The battery was fully charged i even connected my battery charger to it to check. What could have cause this?

Old 08-28-2007, 07:51 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: 1997 2500 Suddenly wont turn over

Well, I'll try to help.

Make a list of EVERYTHING you did and post it here. Then get back in the engine and check down the list and make sure you reconnected everything.

Did you knocksomething loose?
Did you pull any relays or fuses and not put them back in?
Did you remove the battery and not reconnect one of the terminals?

Totally dead sounds like no electricity to the system.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:39 PM
xxtrurida75xx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay so i found the problem, its the Crankshaft positioning sensor. I have been working on getting it out for quite a few days now and i just cannot get it. So anyway i disconnected the old one and just plugged the new one in and let it dangle in the engine bay just to try to turn it over. I turned the key and yes the engine does trun over but it will not run. I put quickstart in the carb and it fired but didnt stay running. so my question is does this sensor need to be in place for the truck to run and if so is there a way to bypass it? I dont need the truck to run well i just need it to run so i can move it out of where it is now to my new garage.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR - 5.2/5.9L V-8 ENGINE
DESCRIPTION
The Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor is located near the outer edge of the flywheel (starter ringear)
OPERATION
Engine speed and crankshaft position are provided through the CKP sensor. The sensor generates pulses that are the input sent to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) The PCM interprets the sensor input to determine the crankshaft position. The PCM then uses this position, along with other inputs, to determine injector sequence and ignition timing.
The sensor is a hall effect device combined with an internal magnet. It is also sensitive to steel within a certain distance from it.
On 5.2/5.9L V-8 engines, the flywheel/drive plate has 8 single notches, spaced every 45 degrees, at its outer edge CKP Sensor Operation - 5.2L/5.9L Engine
The notches cause a pulse to be generated when they pass under the sensor. The pulses are the input to the PCM. For each engine revolution, there are 8 pulses generated on V-8 engines.
The engine will not operate if the PCM does not rece

Quick Reply: 1997 2500 Suddenly wont turn over