2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

U joints replaced

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 02:09 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U joints replaced

I know what yall are thinkin, no this is not another "is it my u joint?" thread. I changed out the u joints in my driveshaft today, they were so rusted we had to cut them out. Took 4 hours to change 3 u joints. thats what happens when u get a truck from the north. damn salt roads and theirrust....

Anyone else experience EXTREME difficulty when changin u joints? or am i just blessed with a PITA truck [>:]

Old 08-31-2007, 07:56 AM
Sinister
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: U joints replaced

mine didnt take 4 hrs only 2, but the middle of the three was ready to fall off at any moment before i changed it.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:22 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

well ive never seen somethin so damn difficult in my life. what a PITA. at least its done now and i wont have to worry about it for a while.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:32 AM
dillonjm
Veteran

Usually whenever I change u-joints it takes some persuasion to get them out. However, I've never needed to cut them. Usually a hammer and a socket are able to do the trick, if that doesn't work I just borrow one of the local parts store's U-joint press which is essentially a big C-clamp with attachments for pressing out the joint.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:19 PM
Quakindude

That's why I'm paying the shop to do it. The guys doing my new exhaust next week will do the U-Joints for $40, I provide the new ones. For $40, I'll let someone else do it all day long.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:23 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: dillonjm

Usually whenever I change u-joints it takes some persuasion to get them out. However, I've never needed to cut them. Usually a hammer and a socket are able to do the trick, if that doesn't work I just borrow one of the local parts store's U-joint press which is essentially a big C-clamp with attachments for pressing out the joint.
oh yeah we tried the hammer and socket idea. wouldnt budge it. they hadnt been changed in 200k miles thanks to a ignorant 1st owner. the rust was horrible.

Quick Reply: U joints replaced