2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fan clutch removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007 | 05:06 PM
Dutch114
Default fan clutch removal

I am replacing the water pump on my 99 1500 4x4 with5.9L, and the nut on the fan clutch is beinga pain in the... Anyway, the reasonI have to replace the water pump is that theinternal blades siezed to the body of the pump. needless to say, thewhole assemble got pretty hot. I think the nut that holds thefan cluth to the pulley,mighthave gotton a little too warm and I can not get it to break loose. I evenstood on the wrench to try and the darn thing wont move. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do, or am I stuck buying a new fan clutch and blade?

Also, I am able to find the fan clutch at every auto store, but have not seen anyone that carries the fan blade.

Old 09-01-2007 | 05:55 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker
Default RE: fan clutch removal

I know this will probably sound dumb, but are you turning it the right way. If you are, then I would try heat.

Old 09-01-2007 | 05:56 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Also, it is possible to remove the water pump with the fan and clutch still attached.

Old 09-01-2007 | 07:50 PM
Dutch114

Yes, I am turning the correct direction, the hut is a right turn (Clockwise). I know that the water pump can be removed from the vehicle with the fan attached, unfortunately, the new water pump can not be installed with the fan remaining on the old water pump, and getting leverage on the nut once the water pump is off the vehicle is nearly impossible

Old 09-01-2007 | 08:22 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

you should be turning the nut counter clockwise to remove the clutch. your best bet is to get a strap wrench and put it on the pulley, hold it good & tight and you should be able to get some leverage on the clutch nut.

Old 09-01-2007 | 10:17 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Get a good Cobalt strap wrench (or the likes) from Lowes, the kind that the strap doubles up on itself, it binds tighter. Get the strap wrench positioned so that the handle wedges itself against the alternator or tensioner pulley. Spray the spot between the water pump pulley and the fan clutch nut with PB Blaster (after you put on the strap so you don't get the pulley wet and slick.) Wait a few minutes and then get after it with theadjustable wrench. If you have a large pipe you can put it over the end of the wrench and use it as a cheater bar to gain more leverage. Just wear gloves, I split my knuckle open good trying to get mine off and I didn't have a problem when I took mine off.

Old 09-01-2007 | 10:30 PM
OlsenG_360
Professional

i had a bitch of a time removing mine as well, did it today in fact.

my strap wrench and a large channel lock broke in the process, so much for cheap tools.

i ended up using two regular size vice grips to get mine off...clamp one onto the waterpump pulley itselfon the left side (passenger side of engine bay) and let it wedge itself against the little ledge that is there...then clamp the other vice grip onto the large fan clutch nut on the right side (driver side of engine bay) and pull up towards yourself with the 2nd one...wish i had a picture to explain this better...that's how mine finally came apart, several broken tools and bloody knuckles later

good luck....and take this opportunity to install electric fans so you don't have to do it ever again. as soon as my clutch fan came off it got heaved as far across the parking lot as i could throw it.

Old 09-02-2007 | 02:20 AM
Dutch114

I finally got it taken care of. TheOEM water pump has an aluminum shaft, and the fan clutch has an aluminum nut. Unfortunately, my water pump seized up, and the friction from the serp. belt got it to hot.The nut seized to the shaft. I ended up buying a new water pump and fan clutch.I could not buy and aftermarket fan, so I had to take a hack saw to the nut and cut the clutch from the pump pull.I think the aftermarket water pumpand clutch are a lot better than the oem.

I have figured out the way to build the toughestRam every... Build it from aftermarket parts, most of theOEM parts are crap.

Quick Reply: fan clutch removal