2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CB usefulness

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 11:35 PM
CutterW
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CB usefulness

http://www.claysradioshop.com/index.htmis where I do all my CB buying along with half my family. All our trucks run CB's from him.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:15 AM
pavement_hater
Veteran

ORIGINAL: mopowar

Well then- bro- all I got to say to that is-as soon as the fcc gets done busting all the 2,3,4&5k kickers out there- shuttin and steppin out channels at will- then they can come and find me with my slightly modified 10 meter rig. I don't know who got fined, where or when, but you can buy modified 10 meter radios all day long. Whether or not that code you recited is decadent or a book law, I can ASSURE you that weigh stations, state police, AND the fcc "overlook" it on a daily if not hourly basis.
Just trying to clear up misconceptions and falsities that were stated above and yes that is Law quoted above. It is common knowledge that you can buy them in a lot of places and I ASSURE you dozens of shops including truck stops are being nailed for it. I can also ASSURE you that weigh stations and state police will not enforce federal law when it comes to illegally modified radio equiptment because they really have no jurisdiction over it. But the FCC most ASSUREDLY IS enforcing it.

Examples below:

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/11/22/100/?nc=1

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/10/29/100/

Old 09-05-2007, 08:20 AM
jskepler_03
Rookie

I'd have to agree with CutterW on Clays Radio Shop, really easy to work with, really good pricing, and they stand behind what they sell, even if they are in Texas and I'm in Nebraska, I'm a customer for life

Old 09-05-2007, 08:24 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Interesting links.

The clarification notice specifically included among devices requiring FCC certification all Amateur Radio Service transceivers designed to be easily user-modified to extend their operating frequency range into the Citizens Band and other non-amateur radio service frequencies.
This is beaurocracy run amuck. "Easily user-modified" is no clarification as far as I am concerned. I am quite confident that I could go to the coffee counter at 7-11 this morning and give the first 10 people I saw Galaxy 10 meter rigs. I would bet money that no more than 1of them could "easily" modify one to operate on citizens band.

As a professional truck driver myself, I personally can't get on the interstate without a radio on. I was raised up that way, my parents always had CBs in our Crown Vics and dad's pickup. Every car I have owned (including my Lincoln Mark VIII) has had a CB. That being said, I have no reason to run a 20w, 50w,1Kw radio because honestly I think it is stupid and just plain rude. When someone is stepping on you form 10 miles out, it is a plain annoyance. The same goes for the rodger beep, sound bite toys, and extreme echo settings.
I try not to step on anybody, and, ordinarily, keep the modulator turned off. It is nice to be able to turn it on from time to time when the traffic thins and there are gaps in the chain or when in rural areas.I also keep the roger beep turned off and echo settings at a minimum. On the open highway, I operate on the premise that 19 is there mainly for proffesional drivers like yourself.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:26 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

whats this 2k 3k 4k 5k business?

how do you know what channels to tune into?

Old 09-05-2007, 10:07 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

2k, 3k..... is referring to external amplifiers.

Here is a list of popular frequencies from one of the sites listed above:

http://www.flashoffroad.com/radio/radio_frequenc.htm

19 is the truckers channel and most frequently monitored. You get reports from other operators about road conditions, accidents, radar traps, etc. You can also get lots of info about how to circumvent back-ups and delays.If you run across someone you want to talk tohere for an extended period, it is good to agree on another channel to go to, i.e. 23

9 is monitored by the highway patrol

There are other channels that have special purposes, but I can't recite them off the top of my head.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

I have had a CB in every truck I have owned. They come in really handu out here on the 2 laner hiways in MT. Get behind a truck thats limited to 60, I can do 70 but can't see around him. .... " He buddy, this is the 4 wheeler behind you, your kinda wide on the road, can you help me out and clear me around yah?" Then it usually some light conversation till I lose radio range about ten minutes later. General chit chat is god on a long drive.

Quick Reply: CB usefulness