2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CB usefulness

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 02:09 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB usefulness

so i got my CB last christmas and its been great for use offroad and stuff but i never really traveled the interstates with it.... now that im travelin to and from college, i swear CBs are more useful than a radar detector!! saved my butt quite a few times this past labor day weekend.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:51 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker
Default RE: CB usefulness

yea i got one my self, i love the truckers sayin where the smokies are!

Old 09-04-2007, 08:08 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

It's the Hillbilly internet. In Va, you can get on 81 in Bristol and know what mile marker the bears are at up where 66 cuts off into DC- Hours away. Same thing on 95. You are right. It beats a radar detector.
Also, with a CB you can spend more money on the actual hobby instead of trying to beat the latest radar detector detector detector. I swing 50 watts legally. I have a buddy (who will probably die from brain cancer) pushing 2k. He can fk up all sorts of stuff in your house by merely pulling in your driveway and keying the mike.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:19 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

u guys gimme some places or infoto look around on for CB stuff? you got me interested with this stuff your talking about

Old 09-04-2007, 09:06 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Best thing to do is ask a Trucker,go to your local greasy spoon and ask a few. They can wax more intellectual onCBthan astoned college lit professor on Kurt Vonnegut.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:12 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

These are pretty good:

http://www.copper.com/cgi-bin/discus4/discus.cgi

http://www.cbtricks.com/

http://www.flashoffroad.com/radio/CB_Radio/CB.htm

http://www.topradiosites.com/

You have to be a member here, but some good info (some not so legal):

http://www.cbradioforum.com/

I choose to stay legal so I run a 10 meter rig tuned to citizens band:

http://www.walcottcb.com/magnum-s6-n...dio-p-929.html

A radio marketed to be used on citizens band can legally push 4 watts.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:32 PM
pavement_hater
Veteran

Not sure who told you guys a Magnum S-6 was legal for CB use but it is not legal for use or for sale as a CB. It is not type accepted foras a CB transmitter and several dealers have been heavily fined for selling tham as so.

Spelled out pretty clearly

RULE 9 - Equipment
{A} You must use an FCC type accepted CB transmitter at your CB station. You can identify an FCC type accepted transmitter by the 'type acceptance'label placed on it by the manufacturer. You may examine a list of type-accepted equipment at any FCC Field Office or at FCC Headquarters. Use of a transmitter which is not FCC type-accepted voids your authority to operate the station.
{B} You must not make, or have made, any internal modifications to a type-accepted CB transmitter. (*read Rule 25) Any internal modification to a type-accepted CB transmitter cancels the type-acceptance, and use of such a transmitter voids your authority to operate the station.

Nor is 50 watt swing

RULE 10 - Power Output

{A} Your CB station transmitter power output must not exceed the following values under any conditions:
AM [Amplitude Modulation] - 4 watts carrier power [CP]
SSB [Single Side-Band] - 12 watts peak envelope power [PEP]
{B} If you need more information about the power rule, see Part 95/ Subpart E.
{C} Use of a transmitter which has carrier [CP] or peak envelope power [PEP]in excess of that authorized voids your authority to operate the station.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:39 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 09-04-2007, 10:07 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Well then- bro- all I got to say to that is-as soon as the fcc gets done busting all the 2,3,4&5k kickers out there- shuttin and steppin out channels at will- then they can come and find me with my slightly modified 10 meter rig. I don't know who got fined, where or when, but you can buy modified 10 meter radios all day long. Whether or not that code you recited is decadent or a book law, I can ASSURE you that weigh stations, state police, AND the fcc "overlook" it on a daily if not hourly basis.

Old 09-04-2007, 11:24 PM
WesV
Rookie

As a professional truck driver myself, I personally can't get on the interstate without a radio on. I was raised up that way, my parents always had CBs in our Crown Vics and dad's pickup. Every car I have owned (including my Lincoln Mark VIII) has had a CB. That being said, I have no reason to run a 20w, 50w,1Kw radio because honestly I think it is stupid and just plain rude. When someone is stepping on you form 10 miles out, it is a plain annoyance. The same goes for the rodger beep, sound bite toys, and extreme echo settings.

I personally run a Cobra 29LTD NW in my rig that has been peaked and tuned with a talkback and echo install to put out 8 watts and that is more then plenty considering I never turn up the dynamic all the way anymore and the echo setting is turned up just so I have a SMALL amount of reverb to make my voice a little more clear.. I have a stock (save talkback and external speaker) 29 LTD in my Dodge hooked to a Wilson 'Lil Wil mangetic mount antennea and every one who has asked what type of radio I have is amazed because of the clarity that it is stock. It is all about the antennea placement, coax and SWR settings. In my trail rig (International Scout) I have a Connex 3300HP kicking out about 30w, but that is only used off-roading, not on Channel 19 well away from the interstate and civilazation where that kinda power would cause people irritance.

CBs need to be, like everything else in this world, used responsibly for the general user population to get enjoyment from. If you do end up getting a CB that is turned up, or you have yours turned up or have a linear put on, please use it with disgression and don't be one of these jaw-jacking jerk offs who feel they have to have the biggest radio to feel like the biggest man.

Quick Reply: CB usefulness