2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2wd shouldnt mud.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2wd shouldnt mud.

Haha, you got that right. I used to take my 2wd ranger everywhere. Actually that thing was so light it'd go lots of places so long as there was a couple hundred pounds over the rear axel. Got pulled out plenty of times tho. Now it sucks, cause I'm the truck that here to pull everyone else out.
That comment about 4 wheel drive only gets you stuck further out really hit the nail on the head too... Usually just a little bit outside of cellphone reception at that...

Old 09-04-2007, 10:45 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

here's a good rule of thumb. start out in 2wd. only if/when you get stuck, put it in 4wd and turn around.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

oh come on now thats no fun [8D]

Actually that's probably way more fun that having to take your front bumper off just to get pulled out because you're burried up to it

Old 09-05-2007, 11:23 AM
besserspat
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also, usually when you get really stuck in 2wd , even after you switched to 4wd you wont get out of it. that "one more wheel" spinning isnt goin to do much for ya , especially in a 4500 pounds truck.

I go wheeling in my wrangler, I try to stay in dirt/gravel roadsand trails with my ram., its to big, too heavy andthe paint is too glossy to go in the woods

Old 09-05-2007, 11:46 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: besserspat

also, usually when you get really stuck in 2wd , even after you switched to 4wd you wont get out of it. that "one more wheel" spinning isnt goin to do much for ya , especially in a 4500 pounds truck.

I go wheeling in my wrangler, I try to stay in dirt/gravel roadsand trails with my ram., its to big, too heavy andthe paint is too glossy to go in the woods

I dont know about that. I go in two wheel drive all the time with the intention of getting stuck just to put it in 4wd and get out. I love scaring people I am with. my truck weighs in at over 7,000 pounds. Lucky for me though I do have recovery points higher then the bumper (really helps when pulling somoen else out)

Old 09-05-2007, 11:56 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

Yeah the ram def weighs too much to mud. mines toppin the scales at 9000 lbs.

Jimmy, good to see u won totm. i voted for that bad *** truck.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:34 PM
rtmorrisjr
Captain

ORIGINAL: Cereal Killer

oh come on now thats no fun [8D]

Actually that's probably way more fun that having to take your front bumper off just to get pulled out because you're burried up to it
been there before!

Old 09-05-2007, 06:59 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

I got stuck in my 4X4 truck 3 FEET FROM PAVEMENT!( they didn't tamp the shoulder in a new development)I had a come-along as a winch, and used 30 feet of chain....got it out, and only about 4 dozen trucks passed me by in the meantime.......jerks

Old 09-05-2007, 07:55 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: motorbrreath

Yeah the ram def weighs too much to mud. mines toppin the scales at 9000 lbs.

Jimmy, good to see u won totm. i voted for that bad *** truck.
How do y'alls trucks weigh so much? Mine weighs 5250lbs. with me sitting in it and the toolbox installed.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:21 PM
OlsenG_360
Professional

How do y'alls trucks weigh so much? Mine weighs 5250lbs. with me sitting in it and the toolbox installed.
is yours 2wd or 4wd?

I can't even see that white truck weighing 9,000 lbs unless it had a cummins and a load of sand in the bed.

just googling it quickly, the 2004 Ram 3500 4wd, 4-door, long-bed dually, with a cummins diesel has a weight of7585 lbs. that's a crapload of truck right there

Quick Reply: 2wd shouldnt mud.