2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New exhaust video

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: New exhaust video

ORIGINAL: BlueBeast2

idk about the fuel mileage thing. As for the air "drag" this is what thy came up with. This it a ghetto drawing I just did to explain. the blue is "air" with a gate on you have air the curclates in your bed causing the air that comes over your roof to pass right over the truck. If the gate is off that air goes down and hits your bed causing more air drag. I know a lot of people run with no gate cause of better fuel mileage and less drag. I personally have no idea I've never driven with the gate off. I was told its illiegle I'm not doubting anyone I'm just telling ya what they said food for thought Iguess you could say.

I guess the new motor is working ok for ya
That is a pretty acurate drawing, I learned that the hard way in my ranger. Me and my buddy were on a smoke ride and I realized that a McDonalds bad I'd thrown in the bed earlier was "levetating" about 2-3 feet out of the bed. So when I looked in my rear view mirror there was this bad floating there...
and that was my intraductory to science

Old 09-09-2007, 09:13 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: BlueBeast2

idk. Like I said not dissing anybodies way of doing things. I've never tested it. Just thowing their test out there. My bro in law swears by taking his off he says it helps as well
i did try it, and thats the outcome. There is obviously some improvement over either solution. as for having the tailgate off, I believe that is the best method, but the method I theorize as helpful is to have two pannels from the top of the bed (from the front), sloping down to the bottom (finishing behind the wheel wells) creating a valley in the center, to help funnel the air properly, and get the added advantage of the "slip" effect (using the air to help push). The most aerodynamic shape is a teardrop with the fat end first. The closer you can get to that shape, the more efficiant you become.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:08 PM
2k10HemiRam
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Cereal Killer

That is a pretty acurate drawing, I learned that the hard way in my ranger. Me and my buddy were on a smoke ride and I realized that a McDonalds bad I'd thrown in the bed earlier was "levetating" about 2-3 feet out of the bed. So when I looked in my rear view mirror there was this bad floating there...
The other week I was driving to work with two ice bags in the bed of my truck and those things kept on playing peek a boo with me. They'd pop up for a few second then dropped back down and no matter how fast I went, I couldn't make them fly out of my bed. It was rather amusing for awhile.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:10 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

interesting

Old 09-10-2007, 05:49 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: Eric99ram

ORIGINAL: Cereal Killer

The other week I was driving to work with two ice bags in the bed of my truck and those things kept on playing peek a boo with me. They'd pop up for a few second then dropped back down and no matter how fast I went, I couldn't make them fly out of my bed. It was rather amusing for awhile.

LOL

Old 09-10-2007, 12:22 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Just came to my mind theres more than one instance that the shape of a teardrop is used for aerodynamic advantage. For the most part its a helmet.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...v_six00big.jpg
bycicling

and

http://www.speedskating.ca/eng/resou...asque1_4x4.jpg
skating

Old 09-10-2007, 01:09 PM
sabbath1994
Rookie

headers

Old 09-10-2007, 05:17 PM