2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

for y'alls who got a CB

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 07:59 AM
Trashlord
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: for y'alls who got a CB

wilson 1000 roof mount ,cb is a ranger 6900F150
you would be better off running 1 antenna, ask any GOOD cb shop and they will agree. ground ground ground that is the key and also swr's 1.5 may sound good to some but its really not that great of a reading especially if you want to run any kind of power.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:37 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Well as far as reception, two antennas is the way to go in some cases. With your magnet mount hopefully you put it in the center of your roof which is the best for you. Also, 1.5:1 swr is fine for anyone running barefoot. Heck, even 2:1 is ok for that since 90% of the power is leaving the antenna. When I tuned my friends up, we got it exactly 1:1 on a wilson silverload. Man I love that antenna. I went with firstiks because there tune tip is turnable which is easier to adjust, and not use an allen wrench to adjust the wilson. Also the sound tracker statement from "jskepler_03" That is only true if another cobra cb has that same feature enabled, it doesnt do a think if you talk to my Uniden PC78Elite. I wish I would have went with an export... but I dont have that much money to dump into that, I dump enough in the gas tank.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Trashlord
Rookie

mine is a roof mountnot magnetic mount, I wouldn't personally use a mag mount for my setup but that is my opinion. I have run dual 102" whips b4 and also dual 4'ers but that was more because I liked the looks. 1.5 swr on a stocker ok its doable but for a modded 10 meter you need to get it LOW

Old 09-11-2007, 12:16 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Your right about a LOW swr is very important. Obviously running that type setup, you already know the "risks". I agree with you statement on magnet mounts setup for you because eventually with that power would turn your paint color, not to mention scraping up the paint. My 4watts will do me just fine as mostly everyone else on here. Use your power responsibly... lol.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Mike454
Professional

well, i went down to the flying j and i can get the Cobra 29 NW/WX for $140 and they had a 4ft firestick for $19 that i already have a mount and a ground on my toolbox. sound like a good setup boys? also right now i have my Uniden right where my coin/ash tray was ( i no longer can use it), the new Cobra is only about a half inch wider but i noticed some have them on the middle hump? how do you guys like it there?
Thanks a lot guys! also for fun whats your Handle? They call me Stretch as I am 6ft 2in

Old 09-11-2007, 06:19 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i used the hump mount because it brings the radio controls to where i can reach them, and without me bumping my knee on the radio. it also tucks it under the legs of a center passenger, so that works out. and finally it keeps the BIG cupholder available.
you can make one, or you can buy it here. i started out with the idea of just using sheet metal screws to mount it, but it just wasn't solid enough to suit me, so i bolted it all the way though the floor pan, which seemed to be double wall.
http://www.walcottcb.com/bb29-stainl...ket-p-148.html

Old 09-11-2007, 07:14 PM
jskepler_03
Rookie

Thanks pcfixerpro for the Sound Tracker... you can definately tell when someone else with it's talking.. it seems clearer overall to me too, could just be in my head or not used to this radio yet

Old 09-15-2007, 05:32 PM
DBG

I'm running a Cobra 29ltd classic that has been peaked and tuned by the local cb shop with a K40 mag mount on the center of the roof just in front of the third brake light. I'm getting 1:1 swr's and I'm good for 10-15 miles on a good day but more like 8-10 mile range. In my big truck I'm running a Ranger 966 with 2 wilson 5000 truckers and I'm getting loud audio reports from 10 miles.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:24 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Ionospheric skip rocks. I can hear PA, NJ, and NY on my rig. I can talk to base stations at 30 mi, rolling rigs at 10 mi.average with a 10 meter Magnum S-6and a Wilson 1000.

Macgyver can build an airplane out of gum and paper clips, but Chuck Norris can kill him and take it.
=
The funniest gd thing I've read in a week

Old 09-15-2007, 09:24 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

ORIGINAL: mopowar

Ionospheric skip rocks. I can hear PA, NJ, and NY on my rig. I can talk to base stations at 30 mi, rolling rigs at 10 mi.average with a 10 meter Magnum S-6and a Wilson 1000.

Macgyver can build an airplane out of gum and paper clips, but Chuck Norris can kill him and take it.

=
The funniest gd thing I've read in a week
x2
lmao

Quick Reply: for y'alls who got a CB