2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Because fate is cruel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:19 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Because fate is cruel?

Um, immediately following my post about suggested mods, I tried to change my spark plugs, resulting in a stripped head. Im going to Loc-Tite it for now, but I need it fixed, which means pulling the head, which means pulling the motor. I wanted to mod the motor, I just figured it would be a few years. My question: I know just enough to knowthat mods work together to achieve more power, but don't know what (race heads,injectors, etc.). My budget: approx. $2,500. My mission: a truck worthy of a "fear this!" sticker!

Old 09-11-2007, 08:24 PM
Moparkid032
Professional
Default RE: Because fate is cruel?

http://www.hughesengines.com/

great website..alot of stuff you would want for mods on your motor

Old 09-11-2007, 08:30 PM
Quakindude

I sure as hell wouldn't lock-tite that spark plug in there!

Any decent garage can back bore the plug hole and then use a spark plug adapter to fix it. I forget the actual terminology for the process and parts, but it's one hell of a lot cheaper than what you've considered.

Of course, if you've already done the lock-tite, you need to use this as a learning experience. Always hand start spark plugs. If not by hand, then put the plug in your plug socket with an extension and start it without the ratchet on there.

I'm just shaking my head at lock-tite for a spark plug mis-threading.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:40 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

^+1

Get it bandaged then wait until you can save more money. What kind of Loc-tite did you use regular strength or Super-strength.Just ribbing you a little bit. That cylinder generates a lot of pressure.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: johnnyrocket5363

but I need it fixed, which means pulling the head, which means pulling the motor.
Whoa now, theres NO need to pull the engine to get a head off! You can take them off with the engine still in the truck with no problems.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:32 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i think the term is heli-coil.. used them plenty of times to fixed stripped plugs, starter mounting bolts, mani/headi mounting bolts,waterpump mounting bolts..

only trouble is drilling/tappin in a spark plug hole with the head still on... shavings in the cylinder,,.. this is where the head pulling comes in

btw.. the heli-coil fix is about 40-50 bux for the kit.. kit usually consists of correct drill, tap, threaded coil, tool to install the coil,, and some are made to retap the coil afterwords.

if you ahve a car-quest near ya.. they should help ya out... if not,, check a NAPA...

Old 09-11-2007, 09:52 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i doubt if the loctite will hold. the heli-coil will work fine.
you don't need to remove the head. the trick is to use lots of grease on the tapping insert to catch the shavings. clean it regularly and regrease.

http://www.a******ia.com/Spark/Plug/...cr20020401st/1
http://www.locknstitch.com/sparkpluginserts.htm
http://www.timesert.com/html/sparkplug.html
http://www.doityourself.com/icat/threadrepairkits

Old 09-12-2007, 06:09 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

I havent used loc tite yet;It's still bouncing aroundin the stripped hole.I was waiting for the weekend so it could set up; Is heli-coil permanant? Also, my grand pa said to turn the motor over several times to blow anyshavings out....I was kinda thinking of not even fixing these, just getting performance heads, but that requires a re-flash, doesn't it? Then if I added anything later on, I'd have to reflash....[8D]

Quick Reply: Because fate is cruel?