2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tomorrow I'm Getting True Duals w/ Glasspacks

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Quakindude
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tomorrow I'm Getting True Duals w/ Glasspacks

Ya know, I just hate posting this cause I know it will cause a stir. But what the heck are people thinking when they put glasspacks on a truck?

If you lived in my neighborhood and woke me up just one time, I'd have every federal agency in the world on your door step.

At some point, there should be some self regulation here.

And before you go getting all offended and crap, I have a motorcycle with nice sounding pipes, a truck with a Flowmaster 40 on it and I love things with engines.

But at some point, I'd really like our government to stop making laws that control every single aspect of our lives. Making a decision to be responsible in your decision making process is the first step to that.

And I'm really sure this post will change your mind, NOT!, so just go ahead and ignore it now instead of complaining about my posting it. But I hope you get ticketed three times trying to get that obnoxiously loud thing back to your house.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:35 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

True duals? As in no cat? Codes? Sim?
Won't be too loud. I had a 383 back in the late '70's that ran "true" dual and out of stock manifold, to twin glass pacs and straight out the back. Although it was in a '50 Pontiac. At any rate, not as loud as, say Thrushes, just a mellow low rumble. It talked nice to me. That old Pontiac was not nearly as soundproof as modern 2nd Gens. and you could still have a conversation or hear the radio. The stock manifold helped keep the low end peppy. OK, that sucker would fly. Don't know for sure how fast as the stock '50 speedo wouldn't match up with the '73 automatic, but not much could touch it LOL.
I say, do it!
WC

Old 09-12-2007, 09:58 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

if u dont have a SIM for o2 sensor... your gas milage is gonna go

wayyy down and run like sh*t
cause of no o2 readings - your has 2 o2 sensors- before and after cat - to make sure its working....

and that check engine light is never gonna go away...
i hope it sounds great tho dude but get a solution for o2 SIM it!!

Old 09-12-2007, 10:25 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran

ORIGINAL: mopowar

It's actually cube #'s 207, 316, and 119 that spoil it for the other 357 cubes that like open exhaust just fine.
Once you get it back, reset the pcm and give it awhile to adapt. If it doesn't, get a flash. Congrats on finding a place to do it. I went through the wholephonebook and then drove to several places to try and show them I wasn't a cop. Where I live, no shop will do it. The fines are hellacious.
I'll definitely recet the pcm. I live out in the sticks, so with all of the other loud trucks around, mine probably won't be much different. That's one reason why I don't mind it being loud. The closest person to my house is my step-uncle, which is about 1/4 of a mile away and the next house is about 2 miles away so there aren't too many people that I will be bothering with it. Also, I mainly drive it on the weekends anyway so I don't get up at 5:00 to wake people up with it anyway. That would make me mad too, but that won't be the case with me. I just want it to sound good.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:29 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran

ORIGINAL: XXL 1500

if u dont have a SIM for o2 sensor... your gas milage is gonna go

wayyy down and run like sh*t
cause of no o2 readings - your has 2 o2 sensors- before and after cat - to make sure its working....

and that check engine light is never gonna go away...
i hope it sounds great tho dude but get a solution for o2 SIM it!!
Thanks man, I think the guy doing it is going to put an O2 sim on it. He said he was going to have to go get some sensors and stuff today to do it. It's nice having friends in small towns.

Old 09-12-2007, 10:36 PM
bigmanram
Amateur

i dont think it will be too loud for u as long as u dont bust em. i had straight pipes (split after the cat),a cat that had complete hollowed out over time and 4in ss tips. it had an awsome roar but u couldnt drive it through town so i replaced the cat and its perfect

Old 09-12-2007, 10:50 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran

ORIGINAL: bigmanram

i dont think it will be too loud for u as long as u dont bust em. i had straight pipes (split after the cat),a cat that had complete hollowed out over time and 4in ss tips. it had an awsome roar but u couldnt drive it through town so i replaced the cat and its perfect
Yeah, I think it will be really loud when I want it to, like when I'm on a back road or something. But as far as driving through town on Saturday night and just giving it all it has, that's not quite me. I'm not looking for a ticket or anything. I just want to enjoy a nice sounding exhaust

Old 09-13-2007, 01:23 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

never heard one with the cat removed but I personally like the sound of twin glass packs on a ram. I wouldn't call it obnoxiously loud. I've heard Honda's and Harley's that were way louder (and sounded like crap)
One suggestion. ask your guy to install a balance pipe between the two exhaust pipes near where the original upstream O2 sensor was and reinstall the sensor at that location. That way you engine can still benefit from 1 O2 sensor and you engine won't hate you too much

Old 09-13-2007, 11:09 AM
blkbaretta
Veteran

ORIGINAL: rabbler

never heard one with the cat removed but I personally like the sound of twin glass packs on a ram. I wouldn't call it obnoxiously loud. I've heard Honda's and Harley's that were way louder (and sounded like crap)
One suggestion. ask your guy to install a balance pipe between the two exhaust pipes near where the original upstream O2 sensor was and reinstall the sensor at that location. That way you engine can still benefit from 1 O2 sensor and you engine won't hate you too much

Thanks, he is going to but a sensor in there somehow to fix it up. He's pretty good at custom exhaust work, so I trust what they do to it. It's actually there right now probably getting done. I should get it back this eveining and I'll let you all know how it sounds.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:16 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran

Well, I got it done and I love it. It's not as loud as some trucks I've heard, actually it isn't too loud at all. It is a really deep sounding loudness that makes for a nice rumble. When I get on it, it makes some noise but for the most part it is just really deep and rumbly. It's exactly what I wanted. I'll try to get some video up this weekend some time and let you guys see and hear.

Quick Reply: Tomorrow I'm Getting True Duals w/ Glasspacks