2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The Keg Intake Modification Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 07:08 PM
brian102
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was thinking of using it as a test mule. trying out different versions of kegger mods. the 97's manifold is basically scrap metal to me, so wouldn't mid cutting it up in the name of science. however after needing an immediate water pump/radiator replacement this weekend and turning 40 the weekend before that, my back is telling me no.

i guess sensors and injectors aside, would experiments on that manifold be repeatable for the 5.9 keg? any walls, throttlebore, port size difference would be baseline taken out of the equation, but i don't know how fundamentally different they are. gaskets goop and advil aside, i'm willing to experiment if the keg is free... and my back will cooperate

Old 03-12-2018, 08:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

It's the same manifold for both engines. Only differences are from year to year. I think both engines use the same size injectors.......

95 and earlier have EGR, and the center divider, two ECT sensors. (engine coolant temp)
96 may or may not have the egr provision, but, shouldn't have the valve. (wasn't used on OBDII engines.) Two ect sensors.
97 won't have EGR, will still have the center divider. Two ECT sensors.
98? and up won't have egr, won't have the center divider, and only one ECT. But, you only need one hole for that, so, you can just put a pipe plug in the one you don't need.

Aside from those changes, and a variation in the number of vacuum ports, the manifolds are all the same.

Shortening the runners, (kegger mod) raises the power band of the motor. It doesn't really give you any more, just lets the engine rev a bit higher, and still produce power. Given it's long runner design though, (designed for low end grunt.....) it runs out of breath around 4K or so in any event. It's a truck motor. Simply not designed to produce power in that range anyway.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:56 PM
brian102
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where do you find all this stuff? lol

very informative, thank you.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Been doin' this for a while. Simply accumulated knowledge.

Quick Reply: The Keg Intake Modification Thread