2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: A poll
yukon 4.10 gears
66.67%
pacesetter longtubes and y pipe
33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

One more mod before christmas...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 03:00 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: One more mod before christmas...

ORIGINAL: MAGICDSSMAN

I finished my gear swap last weekend. I went with 4.56's with 33x12.5x15 procomp M/T's and all I can say is WOW. The gears were by far the best mod I have done yet. about 70% of my driving is also highway. During the break in week I got 12mpg which is only .5 mpg less than what I usualy get. My father took it on a 150 mile round trip over the weekend and got 14.2 mpg mostly highway miles.When he got back I changed the rear diff fluid to get all the paint and crap out and the light shavings from breakin. Then over the last 3 days I have been running around back and forth to work which is 40 miles round trip. I stopped this morning and filled it up calculated my mileage and I was at 15.2mpg. This weekend and I going to run about 1000miles going to chatanooga camping this weekend pulling my little popup trail and that will be the true mpg test. Oh yeah and at 75mph I am setting right at 2500rpms.
That's great mileage though if it's right! I could maybe live with that, now I'll have to reconsider the 4.56's. Though with the 31.6 inchers, that'll put me even worse than 15.2 MPG.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:00 PM
2500 mopar
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

headers and y pipe

Old 09-19-2007, 07:49 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

Youll never notice as much of a gain as gears will give you with any other mod....except maybe a supercharger or nitrous.
+1

Unless you are going to put some big tires on there. Then its a wash.

Whining comes from not having the lash set properly- by someone who knows wtf they are doing.
I paid to have mine done for that reason. I could have put them in, but setting them up right is a whole different story.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:14 AM
MAGICDSSMAN
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did gears strictly for performance. I use my truck as a daily driver and the way I figure it if I'm gonna drive it everyday I might as well enjoy it. I realy don't worry about my mileage. The only reason I even keep up with it is because it is a sure sign when something is wrong with the truck. If you don't plan on going with tires any bigger than 31's then go with the 4.10's if you are going to go bigger go with the 4.56's.

Quick Reply: One more mod before christmas...