2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oh happy muffler day

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:12 PM
kurrz96ram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oh happy muffler day

Alright thanks for the info. One more question how do you get a sticker! Maine is so strict on tire sizes and lifts. P.S. I live on the mid coast.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:16 PM
kurrz96ram
Rookie

Also do the length of the tips effect the tone? Also what size is best. I was thinking 3 1/2" x 12 to 18", does that sound about right?

Old 11-05-2007, 11:23 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Yep, tips do affect the sound of exhaust tone. I've always kind of referred to exhaust tips as the final "tongue roll" of the exhaust system. They also cap off the look of an exhaust. They look sexy, and really lets people know that there is no mistake why you truck is making that badass tone! Anyways, for most people, 3 1/2" diameter is plently for them, and I would go with the 18" long. The longer the tip, the less 2.25" pipe you are going to see lol. Also, the longer the tip, the more effective the tip will have on echoing the exhaust. I went with the 4" diameter tip that is 22" long, but I think for most people, that would be a bit much for them. Also, where you are running two tips side by side to each other, I think 18" will be just right. How soon do you think you are going to tackle this job??

Old 11-06-2007, 06:40 AM
kurrz96ram
Rookie

Hopefully fairly soon. The shop qouted a little over 400 and I should get tires first but, we'll see.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:08 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

$400 for installation? Are you buying the parts seperately, or are you having them buy the muffler,tips etc. for you? If it's $400 for installation and its not including parts, that is a mighty rip job bro. I dont want to speak too much though because Im not sure if they are including the $400 with parts and installation.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

hey guys ive noticed that everyone is mentioning Flowmaster, but what about gibson? Im running a gibson duel sport side exit exhaust system with 2.5" inlet and 3.5" tips and i must say i love it, but im looking for a true duel exhaust back outlet. Would "upgrading"(not sure if its really an upgrade) to flowmaster be a wise choice? Also ive been told that i cannot run a true duel exhause with two cats and two mufflers because my stock chip doesnt accept four no2 censors, this true, or is there anyway around it

Old 11-06-2007, 01:03 PM
kurrz96ram
Rookie

Well they qouted me $435 with no tips. But I called another garage today who is very reputable and he qouted me $330 with tips. I thought 435 was high I guess I was right. Thanks for the tip.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:50 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Well are you buying your own parts? IF you buy your own parts (muffler, tips, and maybe a hi-flow cat), you should be able to have a garge put it in a cat-back exhaust system in for $250 max. I suggest you go with 2 1/2 piping by the way. Have your muffler be a 2.5"-3" inlet / 2.5" dual outlets. I don't know what size piping there is on rams stock. I think it's 2.50". Either way, it is not going to hurt having 2.5" outlets from the muffler. Keep shopping around until you find a good installation deal. I would recommend buying your own parts though. I bought my muffler from 21st Century Exhaust for like $62. And I bought my new catalytic converter and exhaust tips from summitracing.com. So this way, when you go to a shop, you just give them a box full of goods, and they can just do what they do best. If you have them order your crap, they don't always get the right ****, so you are always left wondering if you have the right muffler etc. Best of luck to you!!

Old 11-06-2007, 03:07 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my exhaust redone a few months ago and paid $350 for a catback exhaust with si/do Flowmaster 40 series run out the side with 2 stainless steel tips. I went with 2.25" pipe. He told me he'd do whatever I want and I wanted that size as I've read thats the best size to use if you are going to have duals to keep your low end. I like it a lot although a little louder than it previously was. We both thought I had a 40 series before but after hearing how much louder this one is inside the cab I think my old muffler must have been a 50 series. It isn't much louder outside the truck now maybe a little but doesn't sound much differen't to me but it's quite a bit louder inside the cab. Before you could barely hear it inside but it was really loud outside. I've grown to like the 40 series though and am pretty happy with it.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:22 PM
greenmachine
All Star

I must be back asswards cause I went the opposite direction. I have a Flowmaster 40, dualed out, dumped on bothe sides. I have it turned down right after the wheels. No tips and you cant even see it. Sounds awesome. I believe it sounds the way it does is because the sound is amplified under the bed.

Quick Reply: Oh happy muffler day