2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tailgate Won't Open

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 12:03 AM
ripvnw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate Won't Open

Can anyone help me here. The tailgate on my 98 Ram Long Bed will not open. Can this be fixed. It has something to do with the mechanism inside the enclosed portion of the tailgate itself. Can it be opened?

Old 09-20-2007, 08:52 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Tailgate Won't Open

Why Sure! It can get a little involved; but doable!
Probably a broken spring or clip on the linkage.
Pop out the escutceon plate on the gate (small screw driver will do; protect the paint). Look inside where the handle is and disconnect the clips that go to the linkage rods. These rods are what go to the latches on either side of the gate. If the clips are not there, you found your problem ! They do break sometimes. Next, take out the bolts that hold the handle in place (inside the gate) and remove it. Then, get pliers on each of the rods at the same time (tricky part) and pull them toward the center WHILE pulling rearward on the gate. It should open.
If not, repost cause I'm lost...lol
WC

Old 12-16-2008, 10:24 PM
artswavn

Hey WayneC ---

You answered my question (just posted 'new member'). Just refused to open all of a sudden. THANKS!! Gonna do that in the AM (dark outside).

I've solved some minor problems, nothing big. Love my Cummins, fantastic mileage, good tow machine, bad dash (all cracked), but I think they all crack on the '01's.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:55 AM
ramsey041587
Rookie

When mine refused to open..pasenger side on tailgate theres the latch that holds the tailgate from being opened. I just used my ignition key and pushed it up and tailgate came open. Thought about getting it fixed but works pretty good when you have items in back of the truck you dont want stolen-say like a motorcycle.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:09 PM
JimkDaAdtman
Veteran

The truck I just bought is hard to open. I at first thought it wouldn't open, you pull the handle and it feels real weird, like it isn't operating properly. Pull on the tailgate, nothing happens. But if I push and pull quickly, and not real hard either, then it just comes right down.. I think the latches are just sticking, possibly the rods are bent a little.. Just a small amount of tweaking should fix it, but if the motor and tranny don't get fixed, then why bother with the tailgate right? haha..

JimK

Quick Reply: Tailgate Won't Open