2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck Stumbling on acceleration PLS HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 06:32 PM
Gremmin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Truck Stumbling on acceleration PLS HELP

Changed tps and everything is great thanks for the help guys

Old 09-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Ole Goat
Professional

Gremmin, was your truck to the point where it was running rich, and progressivly got worse as the days went by. I posted yesterday about these same symptoms as you have had. I got a complete tune up at a Chrysler Dealer,new plugs, cap, rotor, and wires. It ran great, also got a new Cat Converter at a muffler shop and oxy sensor same day. That was in early August, and now it runs like hell, all started last week and is to the point where I don't know if it will get to the Dealer. Where is this TPS Sensor located, and what is the cost, can it be bought at a Auto Parts Outlet? Please let me know if you wouldn't mind, thanks in advance.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:10 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Located on the side of the throttle body and connected to the throttle plate. It has 2 screws and a 3 wire connector. It's a local auto parts strore item in the $40-50 range. So you might want to test it 1st before you throw money at a problem that you may not need to.
It's easy to test if you have a analog (needle type) volt/ohm meter. Output readings should be smooth and consistant; no jumping; from closed through WOT.
Post back if you need more specifics.
WC

Old 09-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Ole Goat
Professional

WayneC, thanks for the info will have this checked out today. One other question if you wouldn't mind. I have also been told that it might be the Crank sensor. do you have any comments on that one? My Ram is also stock 5.2 so there have been no alterations done, mechanically, thanks in advance.

[IMG]local://upfiles/73756/94996A6F30414EF4819958B242F1B426.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-25-2007, 09:26 AM
Gremmin

Well my problem came back today and eve worse then it was before, so now i dont know what to do. Any one got any more ideas?

Old 09-26-2007, 11:34 AM
Gremmin

ok i replaced my rear speed sensor to get my check engine light, abs light, and brake light to go off. Well my cel came back on later that night and i took it to autozone to have the codes checked and i have random misfires in cylinders 1,3, and 7. I have routed my wires so that they are routed correctly but still have the stumbling shudder feeling. Any ideas?

Old 09-28-2007, 05:43 PM
Ole Goat
Professional

Gremmin, here is what happened to mine same symptoms as what you described. Turned out to be the EGR valve. Thats not the bad news, found out that I have low compression on 2 Cyls, the one on the front left side has a burnt valve and is at 90 lbs. Bottom line as I am posting this my engine is being yanked and in for a rebuild. With 182,000 miles it wouldn't pay to do just a valve job. I started smelling raw fuel, running rich, then it got worse to the point where it seemed like a 6 cyl. I hope for your sake its not the same problem, just trying to for warn you on the possibilities.

Ole Goat

Old 10-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Gremmin

Still no go for me. Finally broker down and took it to a mechanic and called me 2 hours later saying that my fuel rail and injectors were clogged up with rust and that i needed new ones. 2 days later he calls me and says that cylinders 1 and 2 are still missfireing. WTF you think after paying $1300 for fuel rails and injectors he would have known 100% if that was problem or not. So he wants to keep it for another couple of days.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:07 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

Keep us posted... My truck kinda does the same thing... Mine will take off good say the first time but get proggressively worse with each launch. I thought it was in the ignition so I swapped out spark plugs, wires, o2 sensors, coil, to no avail. An exhaust buddy of my grandpa's heard my truck and said my cat was almost clogged, but my previous Dakota did the same thing with a new cat; It almost drove me out of my head!

Old 11-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Gremmin

Just thought i would Post what fixed it. After a total of $3k spent it came down to cracked heads. So i bought the Aftermarket HD heads and they are nice..

Quick Reply: Truck Stumbling on acceleration PLS HELP