2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My Ram keeps bogging out and other stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:36 PM
BudmannG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Ram keeps bogging out and other stuff.

Well myproblems go back to my honeymoon on this one. I will try to make it short and to the point. I have a Ram 1500 ext. cab4x4 w/ 360 motor.

We were on our way to our honey moon spot in September. It started dieing on me in a stop and go situation. So the whole honeymoon I was working on my truck so we had a way home, LOL. We did have some good times in between the truck problems. Nursed it home and found out it was the egr valve. So I replaced it.
Now the last month or so it has been bogging out on me as I am driving down the road. Almost like the transmission was disengaging and reengaging. I checked the fluids and that was not it. It just loses power and then gains it back. There are times that it loses all power and just bogs down till it dies in the middle of the road. It could be classified as a engine surge.
I then took it to a friend and he said it was probably the catalytic converter. He gave me my options and I chose to punch it out. I then start getting a check engine light. And it didn't fix the problem. I then thought it may be the throttle position sensor. I then swapped it out, and that was not the problem either still runs like poo. I have put in a new fuel pump also, and that didn't help either.
Thanks for any help!

Old 11-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain
Default RE: My Ram keeps bogging out and other stuff.

I then took it to a friend and he said it was probably the catalytic converter. He gave me my options and I chose to punch it out. I then start getting a check engine light. And it didn't fix the problem.
Colgged cat won't cause an intermittent problem. It'll be gutless 100% of the time. The reason you now have a MIL illuminated is going to be a P0420 (cat efficiency low), because the cat monitor (downstream O2S) is now seeing the same O2 content fluctuations as the upstream sensor. Only way to fix it is a new cat.

There are many possible causes of your problem, including a poor connection at the PCM or the PCM itself. You need to find out if there are any codes (besides the obvious cat effecienct DTC's) and get back to us. If there are no codes, it'll be process of elimination system by system, component by component.

Good luck.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:09 PM
BudmannG

I just did check the codes.

Codes

I hope this helps. Because I don't know what it means, lol.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

12 is normal if the battery has been disconnected recently (50 starts).

21 is your o2 issue that we knew was coming

But 14 is indicating that the MAP sensor voltage is too low. Make sure it is connected (both the electrical connector and to the vacuum port). If that checks good, you need to test the MAP. If you have a scanner and a vacuum pump, watch the MAP input while you increase vacuum. No scanner, it can be done with a DVOM. Probe the middle wire and then begin applying vacuum. Range is .5-4.5VDC.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:55 PM
BudmannG

The MAP sensor, That one may also be when I unplugged the electrical on it and started it. Stupid me!

Old 11-08-2007, 08:21 AM
BudmannG

To reset the ecu, All I do is disconnect the ground cable for a couple of minutes? I would like to rest before I go any further, just because of my screw up on the MAP.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:31 PM
BudmannG

I have an update on my problem.

I reset the ecu this morning and checked all the connections. I then checked all the fluids. Took it on a drive and it ran great down the highway (smooth road). I then took it down a country road (potholes everywhere) and it started doing it again after I hit a hard bump. I am going after a crank sensor next. Would this be the right move?
I am also not getting any codes except the o2 sensor.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:09 PM
BudmannG

I think I got it fixed. I finaly got the crank sensor in that was a B@&#^$! When I dropped the cat I seen I had left over parts in it. So I busted it the rest of the way out. I also pulled the o2 sensor and found out it is missing the tip that goes in the cat. So I should have a newo2 tomorrow.
I hear everyone talking about two o2 sensors. Where is the second one at? I can only find the one in the cat. Just so you know this is a 95
I did all that and reset the ecu AGAIN. Then I went for another drive down the same roads I talked about before. I didn't have any problems out of it. I will drive it more tomorrow as I am on empty and live in a hick town in the middle of nowhere.
Any other suggestions, Just incase it rares it's ugly head again?
I was also thinking about the cat having the extra stuff in it(the insides that didn't get cleaned out). I am thinking it may be clogging the muffler a bit now. Could this be true? I will try to pull the muffler tomorrow and see if it is clogged also. If the cat plugged up from the extras being in there would that make it do the things I have mentioned also?

Old 11-09-2007, 08:22 AM
BudmannG

WOW!

No one has an answer for me on this stuff?

Old 11-09-2007, 12:56 PM
95ram

On my'95,there is only one O2 sensor, in front of the cat chamber.Some years had more. The"21" code denotes an O2 sensor problem, which you obviously had, and you've replaced it, so there shouldn't be any more issues with that. Since you're going to check inside of your exhaust system to see if there is any debris, there won't be any problem froma clogged system either. Seems as though you're all set for now.

Quick Reply: My Ram keeps bogging out and other stuff.