2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

FINAL OPINIONS...COLD AIR INTAKES!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:29 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: FINAL OPINIONS...COLD AIR INTAKES!

Also 20DodgeNeon00, I think you should reconsider the 3" y-pipe. I think you will lose low end because your exhaust velocity is going to be dramatically slowed with a y-pipe that big. I'm pretty sure I lost a little low end when I went with the headers (because they have 1 5/8" primaries instead of the more appropriate 1 1/2") and also when i went to a 3" pipe from the cat all the way out. It works great on the top end, but I can tell I have too big of an exhaust to make efficient low end power. I think the stock y-pipe is the correct size if your headers are not too big. Granted, you have a 5.9, and I have a 5.2, but I think the difference is not enough to justify a y-pipe bigger then the stock one (unless you don't care about low end torque and want top end improvements).

Old 09-27-2007, 11:03 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well firsty, thank you Silver_Dodge for putting in your 2 cents, I like how you take your time with your thoughts, its appreciated. So here's my thought on the CAI deal. To me, i feel hands down the Volant is the best option. It follows the stock airbox passage, drawing cooler air form the fender wall with the addition of a much bigger air filter that is completed encased. It also offers a much larger diameter piping to the throttle body, so i think this is the best option for the dodges. The only problem is that its pretty darn expensive, but i think it will look great in the engine bay, sound great, and perform the most realistically. I just have a problem with the "hat filter"...firstly i think it just has to be the most inefficient way to draw air into the thortlte body and into the intake manifold. IT's sitting right on top of the engine tucked in near the windshield, so it isnt even close tothe front grille, it seems pointless to me...i think the volant is the most protected from hot air, and gives distinct advatnages over the stock set-up.

Now in regards to the 3" y-pipe ordeal, i thinik what i meant was when i buy the pacesetter LT headers, i am going to buy their y-pipe that goes with it, whcih i thnk is 3". I dont think theres much i can really do though, if it is supposed to come with it, then i want to buy it (anything to get rid of those nasty stock manifolds)....i also run a 3" cat, so it will fit nicely from the cat to the collector. But anywyas, i think with the necessary mods, the 5.9L can overcome loss of torque. IF anything it will stay neutral and just be better at higher rpms, which it needs because the thing stock is already crazy off the line lol. Let me know what you think silverdodge, thanks again for ur input!

Old 09-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Ya, if you go with the Pacesetter longtubes, that's really your only option I guess. You'll probably be ok with it.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Bouncer88
All Star

The hat style air filter is only really benificial at high speeds (high way driving) because air is flowing through the engine bay faster and doesn't heat up all that much (just like when you are on the high way and your engine cools down but when you are at a light it heats up on hot days) so it is really only beneficial during high way driving.

Thats just my $.02 .

Old 09-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

True, but I have also seen no real loss from it in city stop/go driving either. Though it is pulling in hotter underhood temps when your sitting still, I find that it wasn't enough to make any noticable difference over the stock filter setup or any other CAI i've tried.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:24 PM
Bouncer88
All Star

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

True, but I have also seen no real loss from it in city stop/go driving either. Though it is pulling in hotter underhood temps when your sitting still, I find that it wasn't enough to make any noticable difference over the stock filter setup or any other CAI i've tried.
Yeah I have no experience with this type of filter but I think the only filter for performance would be the ram air box, or the style of scoop IndyRamMan made for his truck.

The hat style air filter like I said would be good for high way driving and maybe you didn't lose any power when driving on city streets at low speeds but you didn't gain any right?

Oh and don't get me wrong, for the amount of money you pay for those, you really can't go wrong.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:43 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Silver_Dodge brings up the very valid point
that 5.2/5.9 Magnum engines could really benefit
from an aftermarket
all-plastic intake manifold
without any troublesome bolt on metal pan underneath
..and no plenum gasket to fail.

In other words
an aftermarket intake manifold for the 5.2/5.9 V8s
built similar to the 5.7 Hemi factory intake manifold.

It would certainly be worth paying $250 to 300 for that
instead of all the $250 to 300 injection molded CAI's
that add noise and seldom anything else.

Quick Reply: FINAL OPINIONS...COLD AIR INTAKES!