2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thank god its over!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 06:20 PM
WTL
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thank god its over!

I dont know ben, tazman, having had a lemon I can see where he is coming from. But his doesnt sound half as bad as mine...I mean the brakes, yea thats a prob, the reverse thing...thats kinda scary...the cracked dash and clearcoat issues...well I have that - but I've replaced the engine, my ac doesnt work, my brakes grind but the pads are fine, the tranny shifts funny, the hood latch let go going 60 mph and nearly killed me, 2 tires have blown out, 1 time causing me to jackknife on the interstate and flip by boat off the trailer and upside down (nearly totaled)...and I still got the #^##$ truck. But yes, I understand being down on one.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:35 PM
tazman6789
Veteran

brakes prob stink cause matercylender is bad. as for grinding brakes did u replace the pads and rotors? and did you check the drums in the rear see if theres dirt or muck in there? Trannys are known to be troublesome if not properly cared for. Dash's love to crack on ALL 2nd gen rams, the clearcoat is cause he and or the previous owner didnt take care of the car... simple wax twice a year .... look at my truck its a 2000 paints clear as day i live in ohio where salt is dumped by the truck all winter... hood latch well thats just nuts, tires blow out on anything. Im not trying to be a dick here but a vehicle treats you as well as you treat it... crap all over it and it shall crap back...again cars are like old people, they need taken care of.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:31 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^^^ abso****inlutely i agree 100% with the tazman.....j

Old 10-02-2007, 08:44 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

[sm=smiley32.gif] well said!!

Old 10-02-2007, 08:44 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: tazman6789

brakes prob stink cause matercylender is bad. as for grinding brakes did u replace the pads and rotors? and did you check the drums in the rear see if theres dirt or muck in there? Trannys are known to be troublesome if not properly cared for. Dash's love to crack on ALL 2nd gen rams, the clearcoat is cause he and or the previous owner didnt take care of the car... simple wax twice a year .... look at my truck its a 2000 paints clear as day i live in ohio where salt is dumped by the truck all winter... hood latch well thats just nuts, tires blow out on anything. Im not trying to be a dick here but a vehicle treats you as well as you treat it... crap all over it and it shall crap back...again cars are like old people, they need taken care of.

Well, I can't vouch for anything else, but the clear coat on these things are crap. Mom's got a 94 Chrysler Concord and her clearcoat's gone. I wax my truck religiously every2-3 months and the roof looks like I dumped flour on it. It's the heat, constant sun, and pollution down here I'm sure, but I see other brands of vehicles down here I know darn well are older than mine and look great. Heck, my next door neighbor has a 95' honda and his idea of a carwash is a rain storm. His paint looks better than mine right now.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:21 PM
99Ram1500sport
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 19Ram99

Last night I traded my Dodge in on a GMC! As long as I live, I will never own another Dodge. I had a 99 with 73K miles on it and it had the following problems.

1. Cracked dash
2. A/C kept leaking, every time I got it fixed, it would leak in a new spot
3. Brakes sucked...$500 later, they were okay at best
4. 9 mpg with 285 tires
5. Early mornings, put it in reverse and nothing would happen for about 30 seconds
6. Clear coat on hood and roof were fading

Glad that POS is gone!!!
i got a 99 1500 sport and have some of the same problems, but that is only cosmetic. The engine is runnin strong at 97,000 Miles. i hope you like your GMC. (i have always hated them though, but i had an 85 so im sure that they have improved.)

Old 10-02-2007, 10:26 PM
WTL
Professional

Well the primer is crap too. Does waxing have anything to do with that? Lol

Tires were my fault - I had blown all my money on the engine and left questionable ones on there, but I'm just saying I can understand how someone can look at a truck thats given them much trouble and be kinda disgusted. I'm actually agreeing that I dont hate Dodge, dont really blame them except for stuff like the plenum/death flash, defective secondary hood latch, and their service in regards to the dash.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:10 PM
nhlbill
Veteran

Good luck with your GMC, I'm sure it will be much more dependable.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:21 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

I have had in my past oh say... 34 years of driving... two chevies...and about 20 or so Mopars...let's just say I only made two mistakes.Yes, some of my Mopars were worsethan others...mostly the few front wheel drivers I had back in the 80s. But most went well over 100+K, a couple over 200k and at least one went over 300k...some needing a few more pieces than others. Sometimes the paint was crap, but it peeled off my Silverado too. The chevy was/is the only truck I remember the dash cracking too. Based on that experience,I'd never own a GM truck. I guess if you just want cheap parts, GM is the way to go.
I really believe you have to be a bit more thick skinned to own a Mopar. Believe me, I loved them all...well I sorta disliked the eighty something WHORIZON I had...and then there was the Asprin...er ASPEN R/T (rusty turd)...but those tales are for other campfires.

Ummm if you have the money tho...you can buy a nice GM ride. Its called a Cadillac...and the trucks stilldon't count.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You're gonna have to lift it 3 inches just to get it back to your dodges stock height tho [&o]