2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thank god its over!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:28 AM
19Ram99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thank god its over!

Well, I paid $600 for brand new rotors, pads and a rear adjustment...I didn't buy the cheap front parts. Even after this, the brakes were okay at best and they didn't want to stop when pulling an empty 6.5x16' lawn trailer. I also paid to have an A/C leak fixed and the A/C system held pressure for about a week then it started leaking in the dash. Resale value on Ram's suck...plain and simple. The clearcoat issue IS Dodge's fault...my wife had a 90 Nissan hardbody a couple of years ago and it was atleast 10 yrs old and the paint was much better than mine.

The dash, may be cosmetic but it is still an issue. I can't think of any other company, within the past 10 - 15 years that have had the dash cracking problems that the 2nd gen rams have. Reverse...well thats something I never looked into. I wasn't too concerned because it only happened in the morning when I first started the truck. But I can only assume the tranny would need to be rebuilt in the coming year.

Finally, the fuel efficiency. Any stock truck that gets 10mpg or less, is worthless in my opinion. I paid $250 for a throttle body and had planned to put in $1800 worth of gears and a LSD. $2000 to possibly get the fuel efficiency up 2-4 mpg.

I am not a huge fan of how low the truck sits but oh well. I no longer fear being stranded by making the 2 hr drive north to the hunt camp (where cell phones don't work) with the new truck and to me, that makes all the difference in the world.

I really wish you all the best with your Dodge trucks, they are great looking trucks and are pure power plants but my first and only experience was a bad one...oh and by the way, I bought the truck from a Dodge dealership and it had been through all of Dodge's inspections...I only had the truck for 6 months.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Fox Fader
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 19Ram99

Glad that POS is gone!!!
Funny, that the last thing I said about my last Chevy truck.....[&:]

Old 10-03-2007, 12:11 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 19Ram99

Well, I paid $600 for brand new rotors, pads and a rear adjustment...I didn't buy the cheap front parts. Even after this, the brakes were okay at best and they didn't want to stop when pulling an empty 6.5x16' lawn trailer. I also paid to have an A/C leak fixed and the A/C system held pressure for about a week then it started leaking in the dash. Resale value on Ram's suck...plain and simple. The clearcoat issue IS Dodge's fault...my wife had a 90 Nissan hardbody a couple of years ago and it was atleast 10 yrs old and the paint was much better than mine.

The dash, may be cosmetic but it is still an issue. I can't think of any other company, within the past 10 - 15 years that have had the dash cracking problems that the 2nd gen rams have. Reverse...well thats something I never looked into. I wasn't too concerned because it only happened in the morning when I first started the truck. But I can only assume the tranny would need to be rebuilt in the coming year.

Finally, the fuel efficiency. Any stock truck that gets 10mpg or less, is worthless in my opinion. I paid $250 for a throttle body and had planned to put in $1800 worth of gears and a LSD. $2000 to possibly get the fuel efficiency up 2-4 mpg.

I am not a huge fan of how low the truck sits but oh well. I no longer fear being stranded by making the 2 hr drive north to the hunt camp (where cell phones don't work) with the new truck and to me, that makes all the difference in the world.

I really wish you all the best with your Dodge trucks, they are great looking trucks and are pure power plants but my first and only experience was a bad one...oh and by the way, I bought the truck from a Dodge dealership and it had been through all of Dodge's inspections...I only had the truck for 6 months.
Sorry dude , 600 for rotors , pads and rear adjustment ? you got screwed for one or they better be gold ! hell i put on 3/4 ton calipers , pads and 1 ton chevy wheel cylinders and only spent 160.00 and when i hit the brakes i damn near kiss the windsheild..
This is like almost buying a house depends how much work you want to put into it we all know we sure in hell are not gonna get out of it what we put into it , every truck , car has problems but also depends how the other took care of it (carfax helps) I was lucky with my truck , very lucky that i got to install the lift and not go after problems now i change the trac bar , shocks , brakes , hubs , ujoints rear shaft front axle ujoint hell i almost have a brand new truck and if i told you how much i paid for this you be sick..lol.. Good luck with your buy cause i like all of the trucks out there i just like my dodge a little more and i really love nhbill bumper...lol...

Old 10-03-2007, 12:46 PM
19Ram99

Well lets see, it was $120 for each rotor ($240), $80 for pads ($320), $75 rear brake cleaning and adjustment ($395) and like $120 in labor ($515) and the other $85 was to fix the A/C.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

My old Ford Ranger was a POS too if it makes you feel any better. The frame breaking in half going over railroad tracks was pretty much the straw that broke the camels back.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:32 PM
19Ram99

Wow you guys are something else. I never said that one brand was better than another...all I said was that my Dodge sucked! I mean if we want to get into this, my family has only owned two Dodge Rams, the first was a 97 1500 4x4 ext cab and it was bought new. Within the first 25K miles the truck was returned to the dealer about 10 times because the oil level kept dropping but it wasn't leaking...turns out, it was the piston rings. Second Dodge was mine...enough said.

Now lets talk about Chevys. A lot in my family but these are the only ones I know about for sure. First, that I know of, 1993 GMC 4x4 350, tranny went at about 190K miles and at 220 the truck was sold. Second, 1994 Chevy 4x4 350, tranny went at about 140K miles sold at 160K. Third, Chevy 3500 454, no none problems sold at 150K+ miles. Finally, my old Chevy 93 RCSB, no none problems until 150K and it sat for about a year, brakes are worse than terrible (truck shoots off the road when you push the brakes), idles and runs very rough even after a complete tune-up.

Fords...geez, Fords. Me and me only, 86 F150 4x4 351, kept blowing carbs and leaked oil. 87 Ranger 4x4 2.9L V6, Tranny went at 200K other than that, nothing. 90 Bronco 4x4 351, leaked oil really bad, transmission went at 130K and it is rusting. 99 Ford Ranger ABS went out (I had it from 3 miles to 34K (6 yrs)) and sold it. 01 F150 5.4L Triton 4x4, oil leak, bad gas mileage 10 mpg, started stalling when started. 02 Explorer V6 A/C went sold after 2 months. 05 Expedition (wifes) no none problems.

So, its not like I think one is better, all have their problems.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:03 PM
87Indy500
Veteran

In all seriousness dude,coming to a "DODGE" forumsaying how yourDodge was a POS , I think that you should have seen some backlash coming your way....

Go complain about you Dodge on a Chevy, or Ford forum. Not trying to sound like an a$$, but you'll get more sympathy there....
[/align]

Old 10-03-2007, 05:38 PM
19Ram99

Point taken.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain

Ya seriously... dont post that **** here..
I know I dont want to see your ignorance.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:15 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

sounds like the brakes were not done correctly...probably needed the fluid flushed as well.

Anyways... good luck with the new truck... your loss on a truck that will teach you alot. There is tremendous support for the ram here and almost every problem has already been delt with. the knowledge here is priceless IMO... hope your next support group doesnt let you down.