2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

foggy headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: foggy headlights

I bought this "kit" at advanced for my headlights. The reason they don't show you what's inside is so you buy it. All it is is like 4 pieces of sandpaper 1000 grit, 1500 grit, 2000 grit and 2500 grit, and this little bottle of polish. It does work quite well though provided you put some time and effort into it.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:01 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Foggy headlights = Great excuse to get rid of those ugly stock headlights and buy some sweet euro headlights with clear corner lenses haha!

Old 10-05-2007, 11:49 AM
jskepler_03
Rookie

I wasn't very impressed when I tried the foil pouch from wally world, figured $20 was way cheaper than new lenses... it looked good for a few months, but it's been about 6 months and the yellow tint is starting to come back again, not worth it in my opinion

Old 10-07-2007, 11:20 AM
cfortes32

I got this box of cleaner from PepBoys (ask at the counter) it had sponge disks with a with cream stuff (looks like polishing compound but it's not) anyway you use it with a standard drill. I used two pads outta the 6 I think it came with. This is the second time I used it and it worked great on our car a year ago and still crystal clear. It was under $20
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-07-2007, 02:21 PM
marionso14
Professional

Meguiars PlastX. its in a white bottle. bout 7 or 8 bucks i think. all you do is squirt some on a rag, rub it into the lights let sit for a few, then rub itbacdk off with a clean rag. might take a few applications but its the best stuff i have found. works on any clear or opaque plastic. i even use it to polish the blue lights on my patrol car. works wonders

Old 10-08-2007, 10:36 AM
tiger22

when i had my jeep i used the small red wheel buffer, that wal-mart sells, in combination with plastic polish. believe it cost around $25.00 total. made my plastic windows look brand new. never tried it on headlights but i am sure it would have the same effect...

Old 10-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used this and the results were very good.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20924/3FD7C386F73D4763AC0BEF78518F6974.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-31-2007, 02:23 AM
ShocK
Rookie

Unless you have damage to your lens, caused by some external force, or some Poindexter has used toothpaste or some other mountain man concoctionas a lens cleaneryour problem is naturally occuring oxidation.
Any product that will scratch or grind the oxidation off your headlights will also grind away the U.V. layer and into the surface of your headlight lens itself.
The kits with sealers are atemporary fix. All will break down in a few months. The sealer yellows, cracks, and peels in that order. The reason is, the heat from the bulb inside of the lens, combined with sunlight or the extemity of cold weather.
The after market kits with sealers are not the same as the factory U.V. application. They areused to cover the damage caused by the kits abrasives grinding oxidation off the lens and offer No U.V. protection
This damage is non repairable and the sellers of these kits know it. Thats why they have to use a sealer which is usually a polyureathane or acrylic basedwood floor sealer.
Before you run out and throw your money away on a common sandpaper cleaning kit, think long and hard about the damage you are about to do to your lens.
Pittman's Original one Step ALR is the most advanced technologyfor removing oxidation from thermoplastic based headlight lens. ( acrylic/ polycarbonate/ plastic) http://www.ibc34.com/Before-and-After.html
It is pure liquid,attacks the oxidation on the lens without damaging the U.V. layer. And the best thing is that it works on contact. No elbow grease needed.
There is no intermediate period within the cleaning process where the lens is covered with scratches as with todays low tech abrasive cleaning kits. Your lensgoes from cloudy to clear in seconds.
It does not require tools, goggles, buffers, sanding, drills or any of the other archaic methods used in the past when headlight cleaing was a new concept.
All those methods are actually recycled auto bodywork techniques, designed for painted surfaces and metal. They are not designed for a clear lens that is ment to project light.
No polish designed for plastic will remove oxidation from the lens without leaving scratches Meguiars PlastX included.
With the cost of replace lens averaging $200, You are gambling with your money and time. None of these abrasive kits will guarantee that their product will not cause additional damage, because they all do.
Play it safe and use a 100% pure liquid non abrasive deoxidizer for oxidation removal. Nothing is safer or works faster.
Remember Oxidation is naturally occuring, It will come back and if you have destroyed theU.V. layer it will come back faster and your lens will turn yellow. From that point its all down hill,you can grind the oxdiation off but your lenswill remain yellow.you will eventually have to buy replacement lens.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:34 AM
Chopper1
All Star

Just get a set of these and be done in20 minutes. Good for another few years....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...QQcmdZViewItem

Or for a darker set....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-02...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 10-31-2007, 04:01 AM
ShocK
Rookie

New lights are nice however, the idea in this case was to save money and clean the existing headlights.

Quick Reply: foggy headlights