2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

foggy headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 07:13 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: foggy headlights

Shock,
I would tend to agree ALMOST 100%. Being VERY well versed in body work for 30+ years and an avid detailing enthusiast, modern plastics are NOT the same as paint! However, The UV coating on some lenses and in this case RAMS, isn't quite the same as, say, the coating the lab at the eyeglass place puts on new eyeglasses. It seems this stuff was MEANT to wear off! Case-in-point; my headlight lenses are actually peeling/deteriorating visibly. You have to get up close and personal to see it, but, it is wearing off...not just fading or yellowing. And nothing has been done as far as restoration at this point to cause the wear. I have even waxed all lenses several times per year with the rest of the truck (a fettish I suppose). Evidence is povided by the fact that the corner lenses are clear as can be. Granted, they do NOT have anywhere near the heat in them as the headlights.
I guess the point of all this is that once that coating is compromised, the lense is toast! Whether the compromise is from natural conditions or Pointdexter (lol) the damage is done. So what choice do you have? Replace the lense or try to polish it. Even if that means you must polish every few months. I think you'd have to admit you can buy a lot of polish and buffer pads for the $200 that they are asking for replacement lenses. I guess I'll just keep polishing periodically for a while longer.
BTW did you see the one about the brake fluid? I'll just leave it at that.
Great info though for the otherwise unenlightend.
One final thought...nowhere in the Ram Owner's Manual does it mention anything about headlight lense care in contrast to the information on upholstry, paint, trim care etc. Again, planned obsolesnece.(my opinion).
Have a great day!
WC

Old 11-01-2007, 08:37 PM
RamExpress
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with WayneC. My 99 Ram has lenses with bad yellowing, fogginess and a peeling layer of plastic thanks to the Arizona heat and dry air. Doing a little sanding and polishing every few months with a total cost of $8 beats the hell out of $200 for new lenses. Maybe if my plastic UV layer was still intact I might try the Lippman product. I don't think I'll be doing the brake fluid treatment just yet. Get some of that on your paint and you'll be pissed!! LOL

Old 11-01-2007, 08:54 PM
squishy_1010
Rookie

I know the point of this thred was to find out how to fix your headlights but no matter how much work you do on the they will never look like brand new again. I tried some of those suggestions and got no good results. I found a new set of aftermarket headlights on ebay for $160 and have since seen cheaper ones. Just my opinion but I would just go with new headlights.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:28 PM
WayneC
Captain

Squish,
May I suggest that since you have new...keep them the best you can. I would look for a wax that promises UV protection and hit them a lick every month at least. The lamp heat is what kills them, not just sun and elements. Like I said, look at your corner lenses. They probably look like new due to the fact that they don't have the high heat output inside of them. Glass never did this yellowing trick!
Good Luck, WC

Old 11-01-2007, 09:52 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

A good way to clean headlights is get yourself a bottle of Mothers Plastic Polish and use it on your headlightlike waxing your car. Its a cheap and easy fix.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:20 PM
RamExpress
Rookie

I was going to pick up some of the MacGuire's PlastX headlight lens restorer and the guy at the counter said to try this other stuff called Blue Magic instead. Same size bottle (8 oz) but almost $2 cheaper ($7 Autozone). I tried it without much expectations and I couldn't believe it! I absolutely had the worst case of yellow foggy headlight lenses I'd ever seen (I couldn't even see the bulb through the lens) and I only used about 1/2 oz to do the lenses on my 99 Ram 1500 and the lenses on the wife's 01 Gr. Caravan. Now the Ram is 90% new looking (just a slight yellow tint but no more fog) and the Gr. Caravan looks 100% brand new. It did the job as advertised and I still have 95% of the bottle left. I just wish I'd taken before and after photos.

Blue Magic headlight lens restorer - Highly Recommended!!

Old 11-05-2007, 05:31 PM
WayneC
Captain

I too got the Blue Magic and am thrilled with the results. Although, just about any good polish will work, this seems to break down better and is a very mild abrasive.Before and after on my Merc.

[IMG]local://upfiles/63734/59F160BFCC1745DCA9BF3F7A172C3294.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/63734/1F4FD8795A0048309DCEFC920013BDF6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-05-2007, 07:25 PM
ShocK
Rookie

I am familiar with the wear you are describing, That damage is common on vehicles that travel on the highways frequently. And worse on cars that operate near areas with a lot of sand.
It is almost like a natural sandblasting. it effects the whole front of the car paint, windshield, grill.
The UV layeris the softest surface in the front of your car and ittakes the worst of it.
When this happens your choices are limited and you will need to buff thelens back smooth and reapply a protective sealent.
Salt from the ocean or from the cities effort to melt snow will add to the UV membranes breakdown.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:37 PM
rocksgreen97
Rookie

just bought aftermarket diamond headlights here on ebay, they look greatin my opinionand they put out so much more of a view field than the standard headlights and just so no trouble here, im not tryin to advertise this pic is straight from ebay of the ones i bought, just wanted to show what they look like

Old 11-05-2007, 10:11 PM
xtremewlr

Too bad noone makes a one peice headlight like those for the sport versions with the dual bulbs. I really like the one peice look, especially in the black like that.

Just going to have to replace my headlights with OEM type replacements [:'(]

Quick Reply: foggy headlights