2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My shiny new differential cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:29 PM
nhlbill
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My shiny new differential cover

ORIGINAL: greenmachine

One ? Why chrome? Holdsa ton of heat and heat breaks fluids down. Something you dont want in an axle.

It is purdy, looks good with the black bolts(even better with some black allens)

Ever thought about the deep pan aluminum cover?
Aluminum diff covers on a 4x4 is a bad idea. They crack easily when coming into contact with rocks.

When you get your 60's in, there is a whole world of diff covers available that are thick and indestructible. I went with the Rockcrushers (now Solid axle mfg.) for about $120.00 a pair.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:33 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's good to know Bill. I'll be sure to check those out. There's plenty of bad *** Dana 44 covers out there. Too bad no one ever put a 9.25 on a jeep

Hey Bill, if you don't mind my asking, How much did you pay for your axels? I'm not trying to get beat, so I make an effort to ask when I see someone who's done the swap.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:48 PM
nhlbill
Veteran

I probably paid more than I should have because I was looking for a matched set (same vehicle), andI was specifically looking for 4.10 gearing (which was stupid because in less than 6-months I had them changed out to 5.13's anyway....lol).

I paid $1k for the pair.

They came out of a 1998, 2500 gas engine truck with 50,000 miles on it, so the low miles was a plus, but again, not absolutely necessary becauseI changed everything out before I installed them anyway.

I changed carriers (went with ARB), gears (to 5.13's), axles (EMS Off Road Hub conversion kit and one peice passenger shaft with all chromolly axles), Brakes (new rotors, calipers, drums, shoes, hardware, wheel cylinders), upper and lower ball joints, and finally new wheels and tires.

I have about $4k more in all the gears, lockers, axles, brakes, wheels and tires, hub kit, etc....and thats with me doing all the labor!

I didn't have to do all that as the axles I bought were in good shape and I could have easily just bolted them in and ran them, but I knewI was going to run 37"+ tires and I overkill everything I touch so now I have basically brand new axles that should last me a long, long time.

Good luck on yours, and when you get them if I can help with advice or whatever, let me know.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

okay cool. That's about what I was expecting, and exactly what I want. Low mileage and 4.10s (although I do plan on eventually running 37s, but I can throw another pair of 33s ontill I get liftedand they'll feel good. 3.55s kida suck. The only other thing I was kinda hoping for is disc brakes, but I can always change that later.

The plan:
-3 in. bodylift
- The axels, and 8 lug wheels
- 5 inch Suspension lift
-37s probably at the same time, cause 33s would look damn stupid on 8 inches of lift.
- Regear I guess... How do you like 5.13s with the 37s?

I dig that bumper too man. What is that? Alien Patrol? I love those front ones, but I need a rear one, and as you can see I'm already spending money I don't have. Good thing it'll be too cold to work on the truck for a couple months soon

Thanks in advance, cause I'm sure I'll have questions.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:10 PM
greenmachine
All Star

ORIGINAL: nhlbill

ORIGINAL: greenmachine

One ? Why chrome? Holdsa ton of heat and heat breaks fluids down. Something you dont want in an axle.

It is purdy, looks good with the black bolts(even better with some black allens)

Ever thought about the deep pan aluminum cover?
Aluminum diff covers on a 4x4 is a bad idea. They crack easily when coming into contact with rocks.

When you get your 60's in, there is a whole world of diff covers available that are thick and indestructible. I went with the Rockcrushers (now Solid axle mfg.) for about $120.00 a pair.
The aluminumsare pretty tough and if you are doing any serious off-roading or rock stuff you should be running an axle skid anyway.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:25 PM
blkbaretta
Veteran

That looks pretty good. I bet it will definitely draw attention while you're driving down the road. I need to spend some time under my truck some weekend and do some sanding and painting to make it look nice. I may have to go with some sort of cover eventually too.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion

oh yeah there was something I forgot to mention. When you're draining the old gear oil don't get any on you. I can't seem to wash the stink out of the clothes I was wearing [:'(]

Old 10-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Bouncer88
All Star

ORIGINAL: Cereal Killer

oh yeah there was something I forgot to mention. When you're draining the old gear oil don't get any on you. I can't seem to wash the stink out of the clothes I was wearing [:'(]
90 Weight never goes away lol.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:29 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

haha never!

Cereal,
throw a ..throw a cummins in that bitch

nhlbill,
you really do have a hell of a setup going on dude
looks great!