2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Getting ready for winter...Can you double header gaskets? Are Super44's louder than 40's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 06:47 PM
SmokeGrinder
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready for winter...Can you double header gaskets? Are Super44's louder than 40's?

Right now i have hedman headers, duel flowmaster original 40 series........It seems i change header gaskets every 2-3months......I use the Felpro ones that have one side metal.....winters comming here in PA and i dont want any exhaust leaks through the winter......Will double the felpros help? It seems like drivers side always blows out more than passanger.......

Second question, Even though my truck is loud, i want it to sound even meaner, Will Super 44s and high flow cat do anything? I searched about high flow cat and just a bunch of crap from dakota boards came up.........

Mods so far:
Superchips Max Micro Tuner
Hedman Headers
Edelbrock Intake
Flowmaster Original 40s

If anyone wants i can get pics and video

Old 10-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Bouncer88
All Star
Default RE: Getting ready for winter...Can you double header gaskets? Are Super44's louder than 40's?

Doubling the felpro gaskets is bad, they are the metal and rubber ones right? If I were you I would see re-torque the bolts down on your headers in a pattern rather than go down the line in order, also find a completely flat surface and see if the flanges on your headers (header to block) are completely flat and not warped.

High flow cat will make your truck a lot louder.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:38 PM
SmokeGrinder
Professional
Default RE: Getting ready for winter...Can you double header gaskets? Are Super44's louder than 40's?

Thanks for the input, one side is a regular gasket material and the other side (that touches the block) Has a thin metal over it. I'll try the pattern way because last time i did it in the line....Its not bad yet, but today i just started hearing alittle tiny leaking and i dont want it to get any worse...

Old 10-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Bouncer88
All Star

Do it from the outsides in, both the end bolts then work your way to the middle. , while you are at it check to make sure they are not warped as well.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:50 PM
2001mustang_gt
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the same problem with my headers...and i found that red rtv along with new gaskets mine will last between 4-6 months before i have to change the drivers side only

Old 10-09-2007, 10:59 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

The Super 44 is actually rated "quiter" than the Original 40 series, but it is a lot deeper and has a different internal chamber pattern that makes a differant noise. Don't get me wrong, the 44 is very loud, but it is no louder than original 40. Exchanging the stock cat with a "honey comb" style cat will definately make a differance. Honestly though, if you want it to be noticably louder, your best gutting it. I am running a magnaflow cat right now, and it's great, but I want even louder, and in the near future I will be having it gutted. So if you want to get the 44, dont do it for loudness, because its the same loudness, but if you want a different tone, then the 44 definately makes sense!

Old 10-09-2007, 11:14 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Retightening the bolts after you've allowed them to heat up and cool down a few times will help with the leaks. You need to run them thru several "heat cycles"as the bolts will stretch when they heat up and leave a little space between the gasket and header.

If you've got slightly warped flanges try remflex gaskets, they're more pricey but supposedly worth the extra money.

Quick Reply: Getting ready for winter...Can you double header gaskets? Are Super44's louder than 40's?