2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hypertech Power Programmer III

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:02 PM
G0tMudd
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hypertech Power Programmer III

i have a 97' 5.2L v8 4x4, lifted and i'm running 35's with stock gears. So i'm looking for a cheap way to help with gas milage a bit and help get some more power back. My truck is at 68K Miles so not 2 bad, but i wanna know if this chip may put more strain on the engine? and also people say it only goes up to liek 33' tire size so would that mess up my speeddor and everything? and would that mess up other settings. Do you think it would be worth it?

URL To it. http://www.autoanything.com/performa...A1785A0A0.aspx

Old 10-09-2007, 11:27 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Hypertech Power Programmer III

hypertech PPIII goes up to 42" tire size if I remember correctly. Do they even work with a '97? I thought they were '98 up. The chip won't hurt your engine at all if it's running correctly, but if there are any problems with the normal operation (like a leaky plenum gasket)they can be magnified by the programmer advancing the timing. Also, to get the max benefit you need to run 93 octane which ends up costing at the pump. It's a nice device to read trouble codes and set the speedo correctly for tire sizes (great for getting rid of a death flash too if you happen to have been reflashed by the dealership post 2000 or so).

You could try adding some 1.7 roller rockers, a 50mm fastman TB (great mod!), a round air filter, and a few other things that will cost as much or less than a programmer. Here's a link to some free ones you can try too:

http://www.v8performance.com/ click on the tips and tricks link at the top.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:32 PM
G0tMudd
Veteran

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

hypertech PPIII goes up to 42" tire size if I remember correctly. Do they even work with a '97? I thought they were '98 up. The chip won't hurt your engine at all if it's running correctly, but if there are any problems with the normal operation (like a leaky plenum gasket)they can be magnified by the programmer advancing the timing. Also, to get the max benefit you need to run 93 octane which ends up costing at the pump. It's a nice device to read trouble codes and set the speedo correctly for tire sizes (great for getting rid of a death flash too if you happen to have been reflashed by the dealership post 2000 or so).

You could try adding some 1.7 roller rockers, a 50mm fastman TB (great mod!), a round air filter, and a few other things that will cost as much or less than a programmer. Here's a link to some free ones you can try too:

http://www.v8performance.com/ click on the tips and tricks link at the top.
That is kind of what i was thinking, i'm running a Round air Filter K&N 17' one i belive the both beast lol, duel flow master's etc. I will look in to the 1.7 roller rockers, a 50mm fastman TB.Just said tothink that thetruck has been running over sizedtires with wrong gears for over 50K miles lol, i have lost a tranny and much more b/c of the first 2 owners beat the hell out of it. New tranny new transfer case etc. I was told that i have lost aobut 15%power in everthing, Ishould just save up and get 4.10 gears it seems like.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:37 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Regearing will definitely get you back to where you want to be and then all the other mods will add on from there.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:39 PM
G0tMudd
Veteran

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

Regearing will definitely get you back to where you want to be and then all the other mods will add on from there.
guess that is what i will just go, just bite the bullet and pay it lol. With all the gearing threads out there it seems like 4.10's are the way i wanna go?

Old 10-10-2007, 09:02 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend

You might even want to run 4.56's

Here's a gear ratio calculator.Use 70MPH and 0.69 as the Overdrive ratio:

http://www.drivetraindirect.com/t_gear_calculator.htm

You can enter your current gear ratio and the stock tire size (check your drivers door sticker; mine were 29.3") to get a baseline RPM reading, then enter the new tire size (35") and try4.11 and 4.56 for the gear ratio to see which gets you closer, higher RPM's mean worse gas mileage but more power at the wheels.

I am currently running 4.11's on 30.5" tires and I finally don't lose speed or downshift going upa hill. It's much easier on thecruise controltoo.

Quick Reply: Hypertech Power Programmer III