2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 10:22 AM
lakelt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny fluid

I changed filter in tranny used atf III instead of II now it will not shift. Would the fluid cause this? Thanks

Old 10-11-2007, 10:34 AM
Dodge4x4810
Veteran
Default RE: tranny fluid

What year is your truck, to my knowledge, i believe that you're supposed to use ATF 3 for 2000 and early and ATF 4 for 2001 and later. But, to my knowledge you cannot buy ATF 3 anymore, at least not at the store. I just did mine with Mobil 1 fully synthetic, and that is supposed to be universal for all ATFs. Did you put enough fluid in, it should take about 4 quarts if it's just a drain and not a flush.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:40 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I changed filter in tranny used atf III instead of II now it will not shift. Would the fluid cause this? Thanks
First of all, welcome to the forum LakeIt. I would double check the fluid level like suggested earlier, but I would not panic too much. Make sure your checking your fluid hot. Re-read the bottle's fine print, you may have picked up the right stuff after all. If you did get the wrong stuff, I would recomend a flush.

What year is your truck, to my knowledge, i believe that you're supposed to use ATF 3 for 2000 and early and ATF 4 for 2001 and later. But, to my knowledge you cannot buy ATF 3 anymore, at least not at the store. I just did mine with Mobil 1 fully synthetic, and that is supposed to be universal for all ATFs. Did you put enough fluid in, it should take about 4 quarts if it's just a drain and not a flush.
You are correct about the year usages to my knowledge as far as I know. You can most definately buy Type III dextron / Mercon at any autoparts store, at least in my area. In fact that same mobile 1 fully synthetic you refer to is infact Type III. Take a look here,and read the fine print. I bet you ment to say Type II, because I have never seen that before either. I ran across this problem when I needed trans fluid for my mustang. Isaw "recomended for all automatic transmissions" on the bottle but it was Type III when I needed Type F. It said forautomatic transmissions, but not for mine. Good thing I read the bottle before I dumped it in.

Good Luck!

pcfixerpro

Old 10-13-2007, 10:55 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you can put ATF +4 in aATF +3 tranny as far a safety factor goes (ATF +4 is a full syn and handles higher heat), but I'd make sure you get all the old ATF +3 out.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:31 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

re-check what fluid you used.... you should use ATF+3 (no longer avail) or ATF+4 for Chrylser Products.

If you used Dextron/Mercon II or III (for chev) or Type F (for ford), then that is your problem and you need to get it out of there NOW. drop your pan and filter and leave the pan under it and let it sit for as long as possible, even overnight. it just keeps dripping and dripping and dripping. then refill with ATF +4 and drive it a little bit, and then change it again. an alternative to dropping the pan is to use a small hose and pump, maybe attached to a drill and pump it out. be aware that there is a significant amount of fluid in the radiator (cooler), lines, and the torque converter that doesn't come out by simply dropping the pan. and finally, check the fluid level while warm, in Neutral (not Park).

Quick Reply: tranny fluid