2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HEY SILVER DODGE

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 01:38 PM
ONECRAZYJEEP
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HEY SILVER DODGE

WHATS THAT GUAGE BY YOUR STEERING WHEEL FOR?

Old 10-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HEY SILVER DODGE

Trans temp gauge. It is connected to a switch that connects to two sending units. One in the pan, one in the front servo port on the side of the trans. That way I can see temps from two different locations on one gauge. I put it there becasue I put a grab handle on the a-pillar (which is where most people put their gauges).

Old 10-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

Trans temp gauge. It is connected to a switch that connects to two sending units. One in the pan, one in the front servo port on the side of the trans. That way I can see temps from two different locations on one gauge.
That's pretty slick !!

I've never heard of that done before

Old 10-11-2007, 05:05 PM
spaz_22
Captain

i can't believe you kept this secret from us silver...lol, you should do a quick wright up on it...and it'll probably end up just like your round air filter setup lol

Old 10-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I thought I had mentioned it before....

Ya, I can write it up, no prob.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

*cough* PM *cough*

Old 10-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

PM?

Old 10-12-2007, 01:59 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

no offence jeep guy, but is your cap locks broken?

Old 10-12-2007, 02:27 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

that is a good idea... there was no need for a pm this is sparking interest of more than one person...

Old 10-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Ya, I see what your saying now Socha. ONECRAZYJEEP, we don't like posts to be things like "Hey so-and-so". This should have started as a PM instead. Since there is interest now, lets leave it, but in the future, send a PM if you have a question aimed at a single specific member. Thanks.

As for the write-up, please give me a few days so I can take some pictures to go with it.
Basically, the setup is this. I have a single Autometer trans temp gauge mounted on the steering column. It is wired to a spdt changeover switch (single pole, dual throw). The switch is connected to each sending unit, one in the pan, one in the front servo port on the trans. The reason for this is becasue I felt like monitoring only one location in the system was only giving me part of the picture. When I had only the servo port sending unit hooked up, I knew what the temps of the fluid being used was, but I didn't know how good a job my trans cooler was doing or what the temps in the pan are. So the way I use it is, if I see temps at the servo port starting to rise, I switch over to see what temps in the pan are. If they are still low, I know that I am ok for now. If they are very hot, then I know that the trans cooler is not doing very good, and that I better be careful because the fluid that is about ot be used (the fluid in the pan) is already dangerously hot.

And I don't like to monitor just the pan, because if my cooler is doing a really good job, I could see decent temps in the pan, but in the trans, temps could be high enough that damage could be happening to the fluid (over 250). So even if the cooler gets temps back down, the damage is already done. That's why I still want to see the temps at the front servo port too.

Quick Reply: HEY SILVER DODGE