2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

U joint making noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Cheesehead
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U joint making noise

I have an 01 4X4 1500 with offroad pkg. When I put it in 4 HI I hear a slight grinding noise. When I turn the wheels either direction it gets worse.

I put it up on jacks all around. When in 2 it sounds link there is a little slop when i get on and off the gas. WhenI put in in 4 HI it seems ok till I turn the wheels either direction. I slid up under and it sounds like there is a problem where the main drive shaft connects to the tran case. It seems like when the transfer case is engagedit is putting pressure back on the main shaft causing theU jointsbind.Does thissound like a U joint prob or something in the trans case?

Jeff

Old 10-13-2007, 11:59 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: U joint making noise

Well if your ujoints are tight, a little noise is fine... its normal...

But how much noise is what will determine it.
Remember when you change direction on the axle (when wheel is turned) your ujoint has to speed up, and slow down slightly. The tire isnt going to want to change speeds so it will seem like it is binding a little.

That is the advantage of CONSTANT velocity joints, its just as the name states, the movement is constant, and it doesnt speed up and slow down therefore it wont make noise or bind.

If it really bugs you, replace the joints and if it still does it I would not worry about it.

Quick Reply: U joint making noise