2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

OK, what's the biggest cause of diff gear whine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 09:57 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: OK, what's the biggest cause of diff gear whine?

ORIGINAL: nhlbill

It is intersing that you said you have a Detroit Truetrac. That is how I learned that different viscosity oils can allow different levels of noise to either be heard or become nondetectable.I had Detroit Truetrac that was making a bit of noise and by changing the fluid to a thicker viscosity the noise went away. I had originally started with 75-90 synthetic, and ultimatley went with a 80-90 conventional.

While Trachtec\had nothing bad to say about synthetic gear oil, it was their suggestion on my Trutrac to change back to a thicker convenional oil which did eliminate the noise I had.
nhlbill,

Thanks for mentioning that, I went back and checked the receipt from my Trutrac install,and they put 80w140 in the axle that is much heavier duty than the 75w90I provided to them, (they charged me like 6.95 a pint which was ridiculous). I didn't take into account what the Trutrac might need.

That might be it right there,as it doesn't whine at a low speedbut it does when the speed gets up there, which I'm sureis pushing all the partsa little harder. I'll dump the current fluid and trysome heavier stuff to see if that doesn't do it.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:56 PM
ChrisTopinka
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any resolution to this?`

What about a whine coming from the back end that goes away when the truck is put in neutral?

Quick Reply: OK, what's the biggest cause of diff gear whine?