2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Beginning of Death Wobble?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Ezuh
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginning of Death Wobble?

So took a friend home today and i've noticed the front of my truck bouncing on smooth roads that it hasn't before. It even got to a point where my friend actually noticed it. So I cruised home under 40, speed limit was 50 the entire way, and just kept feeling the front of the truck shake/bounce at almost anything. When I went to get an alignment I know for a fact that my track bar and passenger side balljoint's were bad because they told me so. Also this previous friday I did a little offroading and now there is this squeeking in my front end that sounds like a pad indicator hitting a rotor but I just did new pads and new hardware kit a couple weeks back. Also when your driving about 20-30, you can hear a clicking in the front end. Opinions?

Old 04-30-2013, 07:03 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have experience with the death wobble but it could be as simple as tires needing balanced. Have you fixed those items that you know are bad? That can contribute in ways. As far as your clicking and squeaking goes, you already started a thread about that, so refer to that thread.

Last edited by chromed95; 04-30-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:16 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezuh
So took a friend home today and i've noticed the front of my truck bouncing on smooth roads that it hasn't before. It even got to a point where my friend actually noticed it. So I cruised home under 40, speed limit was 50 the entire way, and just kept feeling the front of the truck shake/bounce at almost anything. When I went to get an alignment I know for a fact that my track bar and passenger side balljoint's were bad because they told me so. Also this previous friday I did a little offroading and now there is this squeeking in my front end that sounds like a pad indicator hitting a rotor but I just did new pads and new hardware kit a couple weeks back. Also when your driving about 20-30, you can hear a clicking in the front end. Opinions?
So BJ's and trac bar are bad and you have yet to do anything about it correct? Those are the two major reasons for death wobble, or for any vibration for that matter. Fix the stuff you know is wrong please, then go from there if a problem persists.

Originally Posted by chromed95
I don't have experience with the death wobble but it could be as simple as tires needing balanced. As far as your clicking and squeaking goes, you already started a thread about that, so refer to that thread.
+1 on the squeaking. Try doing the troubleshooting / fixes that people suggest. You need to eliminate the known problems first, instead of hoping for a miracle cure.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:44 PM
Ezuh
Professional

well I have all the parts in my garage, just waiting on next paycheck to pay someone to do my balljoints lol. To much of a pain in the ***. As for tires being balanced, they were done 2 weeks ago @ discount tire.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:48 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Get those probs fixed first. Then let us know after, if some or all of them are better or fixed.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:00 PM
Ezuh
Professional

Yeah hehe. Im doing Shocks,leveling kit, all drivetrain fluid changed, balljoints, track bar, Trans temp gauge, steering stabilizer, and possibly a new rear bumper. All at once.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:04 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by Ezuh
Yeah hehe. Im doing Shocks,leveling kit, all drivetrain fluid changed, balljoints, track bar, Trans temp gauge, steering stabilizer, and possibly a new rear bumper. All at once.

Don't do the bumper until after, or we'll never know if that was the problem.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:08 PM
Ezuh
Professional

Yeah, also going to have to check the front ujoints, the axle seals, etc, find out what is making the noise

Old 04-30-2013, 08:14 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Like I suggested previously, remove the front D shaft and see if the squeak goes away(i'm thinking Cardan joint) You have other issues obviously, but that will at least help eliminate one thing.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Ezuh
Professional

update- Squeeking has randomly just gone away. Did everything this weekend, Shocks, leveling kit, steering stabilizer, drag links, track bar, all fluids. The clicking I found out is coming from a broken ujoint, in which took 3 hours to find and get the clips off due to amounts of rust from when the truck was in the midwest. Now I took the axle shaft out and have tried EVERYTHING to get the ujoint out. It will not come out. Benzomatic torch, sawzaw, ujoint press, etc. So im taking it to midas tomorrow morning. As for ball joints, the same thing. They are rusted in so badly that they will not budge. Snapped a 1/2in breaker bar trying to get the balljoint press to turn. Also bent a wrench trying to turn it. Cannot get the truck up high enough to shove an impact on it. Going to try again in a couple weeks with a bigger jack or wooden blocks or something.

Quick Reply: Beginning of Death Wobble?