2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP- 01 5.9 miss

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 03:17 PM
nobrainsracing
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP- 01 5.9 miss

Hello to all, I just joined the site a while ago and this is my first post. I have a problem I hope you guys can help me with.
I have a 2001 Ram 1500 w/ a 360 and have developed a miss/hesitation/loss of power that I can't seem to fix. Here is how it started, what I have done, and where it stands now:
I developed a slight miss that brought on a trouble code and when I checked the codes it was missfire on 5(P0305), missfire on 7(P0307) and random cylinder missfire (P0300). I had put about15K miles on the truck since I got it last year so I had the plugs and wires changed (I had injured my back at the time and couldn't do it myself) and the problem remained. I went ahead and changed my distributor cap and rotor and put a second set of plugs in a few weeks later when I healed up (the guy who did the first set for me had them gapped wrong and I had a set of NGK's for it that I hadn't used so I put them in). The problem persisted and the trouble codes returned each time I cleared them. I talked to several people and the consensus was I had fuel injector problems. I could unplug the various injectors at idle and couldn't notice a drop in idle or any difference. I planned on keeping the truck for a long time so I decided to bear the expense and replace all my injectors. I have since replaced all the injectors and cleared the codes and I still have the problem and it is getting worse. Today I found a vacuum unplugged at the EVAP canister and plugged it back in while the truck was running and the truck quit. I started it back and it still had the miss. I cleared my codes and drove it until my ses light came on and pulled the codes. Now the only code I have is P0207- Injector circuit malfunciton on cylinder 7. The problem is the same as when it occured except now I have no missfire code, but have the injector circuit code. A few weeks ago I checked the compression (first time I had ever done that myself) and cylinders 5 and 7 were lower then the others. I was then told that I most likely had a cracked head between those cylinders, but my oil looks fine with no water or antifreeze in it. Is this the most likely cause for the problem I am having? I am no mechanic by any means and I know that I have spent some money I didn't have to on parts I probably didn't need, but I want to keep this truck a long time and I figure the more new parts now the less problems I will have in the future. However, I am tired of putting money in this truck and if I can't get it fixed soon I am going to sell it. Please help! Sorry for the long message and if you need more info let me know. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:03 PM
FRUITPORTCAT
Default RE: HELP- 01 5.9 miss

Well up to you had the injector code I would say make sure the plug wires are routed per the TSB-but now? Were the injectors new or a reman. Try swapping #7 and 5 inj. around. If code moves-bad inj.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:11 PM
dillonjm
Veteran
Default RE: HELP- 01 5.9 miss

Also, how much lower was compression. There is going to be some variance, but shouldn't be huge.

Quick Reply: HELP- 01 5.9 miss