2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bumpstop question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 05:31 PM
tiger22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bumpstop question

put the 2" leveling kit on my truck today and i can definately tell a difference in the stance and the ride quality. i understand that with compressing the springs you sacrifice ride quality for inches but i have a question relating to bumpstops. i crossed a double railroad track this afternoon and when my front tires crossed the last track it felt like my shocks bottomed out or i was at full seperation. should i have put new bumpstops in with the spacers or is this normal? never felt this with my jeep (but i put longer bumpstops in also).

Old 10-18-2007, 05:36 PM
theshocker
Veteran
Default RE: bumpstop question

Mine does it also. I have even put larger shocks on it thinking it was the shock maxing out but it's not. Not sure what causes it.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:29 PM
tiger22

sounds like something is going to break apart thats for sure!!! did you ever try longer bumpstops? what size tires you running?

Old 10-18-2007, 08:19 PM
dillonjm
Veteran

Longer bumpstops most likely aren't going to do much to stop your clunking noise. The point of a bumpstop is to stop the suspension up-travel before it:
A)Overcompresses the spring, resulting in shorter spring life.
B)Bottoms out the shock.
C)Causes the tire to contact the body.

Since the shocks are essentially 2" more extended at ride height, the shocks are probably not bottoming out (it would be harder to bottom the stock shocks out with the 2" spacers than it would be stock). However, They might be hitting the extension limit. Also, you might want to check and see if everything is tight, esp where the spacers bolt to the shock tower. I had some bolts come loose not too long after I installed my spacers that caused a similar noise. Also, check your lower shock bolts, they are notorious for coming loose too.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:01 PM
tiger22

everything is torqued accordingly. i dont understand how getting new longer shocks would not prevent this. (imo) it sounds like the shocks are reaching there limit and if i replaced the shocks with ones rated for a moderate lift i would think they could extend more, which would prevent the noise. but others have done this with no success so i am stuck...

Old 10-18-2007, 09:37 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something doesen't sound right with the info you have. You went from stock everything to 2" coil spacers. That would mean you'd have to compress an additional 2" on uptravel to be hitting your bumpstops. It also means you are 2" more extended on stock shocks. Approx numbers are stock ext length 23" and col length 14" but for a 2-3" lift it'd be 26 and 15.5. The only way you're getting a full extension is if you're launching over those tracks. IF you were, it's possible they are extending to their stops. But, I'd first make sure those springs are seated properly and your shocks are bolted tight top and bottom since that's all you would have touched.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:56 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

was feeling in front or rear of vehicle?

Old 10-19-2007, 12:03 PM
tiger22

in the front. like i stated above i have checked the spring and they are seated correctly and all nuts are tightened and torqued accordingly. it only happens on a double track, when my fornt end comes off the last track it goes up and the rear is going down. this is when i hear the sound. i am not very fimiliar with the mechanics of a vehicle i am just stating what it sounds and feels like to me. it just feels like something is reaching its limit and cannot go any further. i know this might sound stupid but its the only way i know to explain it...

Old 10-20-2007, 01:27 AM
Chopper1
All Star

A couple of thoughts here.
Adding the spacer isn't going to compress the spring anymore than the weight of the truck already does.
Did you check the wheel bearings for wear, looseness.
Did you loosen the rear control arm bushing boltswhen installing the spacers. If not the rubber will have to tweak itself into the new angle. Did you put the truck on the ground before final tightening. Not noise causing, just an after thought.
Check the sway bar, steering stabilizerand steeringlinkage for possible contact points. Passenger side.
Not sure which spacer you have. Do they use/have rubber between them and the spring. I was using a Rancho 3" spacer and had the truck in the air with no thumping.

Anything loose in the bed of the truck. Liquor bottle under the front seat......

Old 10-20-2007, 09:23 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chopper makes a good point. You didn't say how many miles are on your truck. That 2"s puts other things in a different position when cycling the suspension and if you have something that was worn and are now putting it at a different angle, it could be causing the noise and not something you did.

Quick Reply: bumpstop question