2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How low can you go ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 02:23 PM
Cavvietta
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How low can you go ?

I have a 99 4x4 dually I pull my Sooner horse trailer with.
The horse trailer is all chromed out has low pro tires and looks sweet behind my friends 2 wheel drive pickup.
When I pull it with my dodge it doesn't look as good so I have been thinking about lowering my pickup.
I was curios if anyone knows how low I can go with the rear end it has the factory 3 inch lift block I was thinking about taking it out and putting some springs on the front to lower it the same amount.

My question is has anyone on this forum had experiance doing this ?
If I take the lift block out do I have to change the driveline ?
If I buy 2 inch lowering coil springsfor the front what other modifications will I have to make to the front end to make it work ?
My goal is to make my 4x4 dually look like the truck concept truck in this picture.
Any info or advice is highly appreciated because I have never done a project like this before.

[IMG]local://upfiles/75813/FC89C231E84846D5BC6E44127FF2D026.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-19-2007, 11:24 PM
spaz_22
Captain
Default RE: How low can you go ?

the block in the rear is actually 4.5 inches....as for lowering a 4x4 dodge...i'm not quite sure....my guess is that you can put some 3 inch lower springs up front, but i don't know if anyone makes them. and get ride of the block in the rear........or you could just sell our 4x4 and buy a 4x2 for cheaper, and it'll probably be at the height you want it to be at.....is your truck a diesel??if so you could try some 5.9 2500 coils and it'll probably lower it some...even if you have the v10 it'll probably lower it some...

Old 10-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Cavvietta

Thanks for the info, I have the v10.
Lol I want my cake and eat it too, I want to keep the 4 wheel drive but want the 2wheel drive look.
Maybe I should have bought a chevy ) lol.

A friend of mine and I were looking at the front suspension of my pickup today not sure I can lower the front end on it much there is a block that comes down from the frame that is only about 2 inches from the front axle without alot of fab work I don't think I can lower it much.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:37 AM
Chopper1
All Star

My dad just lowered his dually in the rear. The fith wheel trailer was riding on the rear wheels and was up too high in the front and contacting the bed at the rear. The local shop took out the factory spacers/blocks and put new U bolts on it. Left the front the way it was. Sits level now.
Not as low as you want to go, but level without having to mess with the front.