2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Odor help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 10:12 PM
hawkeyedodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odor help!

Ok, I work construction for a living, and by the end of the day after busting my *** i smell rancid! The interior of my truck has inherited this smell, mainly the seats. Do any of you know any good tips or tricks to getting rid of this odor thats stuck in my seats so I can clean them up and put seat covers on?

Thanks
JIM

Old 10-25-2007, 10:19 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Odor help!

I can usually get any smell out by usinga auto shampoo at the local powerwash stop.After I shampoo the bejesus out of it, I use one of the vacs to pull the shampoo and crap out of it, an let it air dry.

They also make a febreze for cars that's supposed to be pretty good.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:51 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

yea that febreze is good stuff. i also use this spray called ozium. stops any kind of odor in the air

Old 10-26-2007, 11:19 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about you stop sharting in your drawers while at work?

Old 10-26-2007, 07:55 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine too is mostly a work truck tho you'd never know it to look at it (or smell it) lol. But, yeah, shampoo the hell out of it. Be sure to use sham-poo not the real kind. Oh yeah, its one of those kind of days! But seriously, after cleaning Ozium is good or any type of germ killing spray. Give a good dose and close the windows in the hot sun. You'll probably have to use a air freshener for a while. You should also look into cleaning your a/c coil. And I sit on a seat size towel and change it regularly. They can be washed as opposed to seat covers.
WC

Old 10-26-2007, 08:24 PM
timwag2001
All Star

i clean carpets and upholstery for a living. you need to use a cleaning solution of some kind and extract it out, rinsing it with water. you can rent a rug doctor or something. if you spray lysol or something on it you will kill the bacteria which is probably causing the odor but you arent removing what the bacteria is feeding on, soo bacteria will grow back and so will the odor. those shampoos that you spray on and just vacuum out are garbabe. you dont remove anything at all. you actually are just adding soap to it, which dries into it and causes dirt to stick to it. it'll get dirty pretty fast. it'll smell better for a while though.

in short... rent a rug doctor or borrow someones machine. it will remove the dirt and body oil and most of the bacteria. follow it up with a deoderizer like lysol.

where do you live?

Old 10-26-2007, 10:19 PM
morrgriff
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the Febrez. Ozium in my opinion is just perfume. Febrez does do a good job.

For some other ideas, if you have or can get one, put an ozone generator in the cab, close up the windows, and let the ozone do it's thing for a few hrs. Bought a truck one time from a smoker and a friend had an small ozone generator. Did this and all the smoke stench went away. The only concern is don't over do it. High concentrations of ozone breaks down rubber - i.e. hoses and such under the dash. But thats if you leave it in there for days.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:49 AM
lucas3397
Professional

I have always HEARD that letting baking soda does a good job at absorbing odors. Apparently you just put it over what it is that stinks. Once again thats what I've always heard.. Never tried it myself

Quick Reply: Odor help!