2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear locker?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 12:51 AM
nhlbill
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rear locker?

The Detroit Truetrac Is a great LSD. It has very smooth performance and is great in snow, mud and sand. Any limited slip however quickly becomes useless off road if you lift a tire even slightly in the air. Thats their limitation vs. DD friendlyness.

With your 9.25 you don't have a selectable locker option (too bad too cause thats the way to go). You can go with a full carrier locker by Detroit Locker, or any of the miriad of lunchbox lockers like Powertrax No-Slip, Lockrite Locker, Detroit EZ locker etc..... the drawback to these lockers (either full carrier or lunchbox) is that you will get all of the poor driving characteristics listed above including noise and an occasional BANG that scares the crap out of you and makes you think you just blew up your diff. They do however offer 100% lockup even off road and even when you lift a tire. A full locker will defenetely improve your off road performance but at a price for a DD.

If your truck is a DD that is going to see a handful of off road excursions a year, go with the Detroit Trutrac. If your going to off road your truck alot, get the Detroit locker if you have a bigger budget, or a Powertrax No-Slip if your budget is tighter (be careful on the No-slip and make sure you order the right one for either a open differential or Tracklock, alot of Rams came with the Tracklock and you may not even know it so check first).

Good luck to you!

Old 10-27-2007, 01:10 AM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quiz time. Is this an open differential, or does it have the factory lsd in it?

Old 10-27-2007, 06:15 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

open.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:19 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an Auburn LSD in the rear of mine and an OX up front. To be honest, I didn't want something so hard as a Detroit since this is my daily driver too so, I went with an LSD. And, I wasn't sure an LSD would really do much or even be worth while. For me, it is. It was a great choice. It's super quiet, you don't notice it in corners or even u-turns really and it does make a difference when powering out and off-road.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:09 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Yea, well I just called the dealer to verify whether I had and LSD or not. It turn's out I do not... but heres the problem. I can't find a truetrac that will fit in the rear that doesnt need a gear swap. I found the front dana 44 one no problem... that will work with 3.55's I do not want to do a gear swap! Looks like I need to call up eaton on monday and see what I come up with.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:38 PM
zique
Captain

That's just another reason why the powertrax is much less expensive. You don't have to pull the gears to install, so it can be done fairly easy by yourself. dhvaughan and I did ours about the same time. I guess I just got lucky, but my install was pretty painless and a one time shot.

I also just realized that you were talking about turns like winding roads...I thought (when you asked me in the pm) that you were talking about the 90 degree turn from a stop light as well. I have never noticed it in these situations. The TT is a great LSD though if you can afford it. I probably would've done it had I had the $$.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:56 PM
nhlbill
Veteran

Why would you need a gear swap? You can get a 9.25 Trutrac that will work with your 3.55's, It is a full case LSD which means you have to take your gears off your old carrier and transfer them to your new one, but you should not need to "Re-gear".

Old 10-28-2007, 08:31 PM
dr_destructo

My 99 2500 has the stock lsd and it seems to be less than spectacular. Not sure if the clutches are getting worn or what. I had a 2001 Chevy and had the Detroit Tru-trac installed and couldnt be happier. It's fairly inexpensive and held up to snow plowing and towing just great. I'm thinking about swapping my stock LSD with the Tru-trac.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Aircates
Amateur

Quiz time. Is this an open differential, or does it have the factory lsd in it?

Answer: It has to be open because if it was a tru-loc you would have a bunch of retainer clips laying on the magnet at the bottom....

Old 10-28-2007, 09:37 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: pcfixerpro

Yea, well I just called the dealer to verify whether I had and LSD or not. It turn's out I do not... but heres the problem. I can't find a truetrac that will fit in the rear that doesnt need a gear swap. I found the front dana 44 one no problem... that will work with 3.55's I do not want to do a gear swap! Looks like I need to call up eaton on monday and see what I come up with.
What??? I have a Trutrac and up until 1 month ago it was in there with the 3.55 stock gears. The carrier in the 9.25 axle will accept the Trutrac with the 3.55 gears. Who told you you needed to re-gear? Don't do business with them ever again, they're full of it.

Call the guys at PORC, I bought mine from them for 489.99 tax free and free shipping at the time.

Quick Reply: Rear locker?