2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fuel problem or what?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 01:02 AM
4X$ Viper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel problem or what?????

Ok a few months ago I replaced the fuel pump it was not to hard of a job.

Now just sometimes the truck starts but just dies. It will not hold an idel I have to hold the gas to keep it running and if I am in town I have to drive with left foot on the brake to stop but the right foot of the gas.
you can see the problem. I am not saying that it it the fuel pump that it only to let you know that was done maybe that it the problem. I hope some of you will be able to help me out with this. I dont think it make a diff. but I have a 8.0liter V-10

Old 10-27-2007, 01:11 AM
spaz_22
Captain
Default RE: fuel problem or what?????

does it idle wierd? like revs up then stumbles then revs up then stumbles? could be your IAC. which is your idle air control sileniod. There is a diy on here how to clean it or replace it, not sure about the 8.0's but it should be somewhere around the throttle body...a tune up wouldn't hurt either...

Old 10-27-2007, 01:21 AM
4X$ Viper

no it does not rev up or stumble it is as if thier is not pressure and the RPMS just dive and the powers is got and it is dead. does not start unless the gas pedeal is pressed in some. But that would not be fuel pressure I dont think. after a bit it is fine and amybe it will happen again the next day. It is always with a cold engine but not the first start in the morning. like if I run to the store and then after shopping it does it. or tonight after the movie

oh and SAW 4 was great.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:48 AM
1997DodgeRam
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4x$ Viper. I am not the one that posted the DIY and never did find it, but I did have what sounds like the same problem. Driving home from work I stalled but was able to coast in to a 7/11. Truck would fire right up but then not hold an idle. That was the case for a week, 90% of the time I would let off the gas it would stall and sometimes magically it wouldn't so I did the 2 foot driving thing to hold rpms up in morning commute for a week till somebody on here pointed me in the right direction. It was my IAC. On the 5.9 V8 it sits right in back of the throtle body. Simple to check if you are fowled though. Again I have the V8 but it was just take off the airbox 2 torx screws to remove the IAC in the back and see that it was all jacked up with heavy black carbon deposits. Decided it was easier to replace and autozone had it for like $30 - 35 i think. has run great for 6 months since then.

Quick Reply: fuel problem or what?????