2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Problems Starting Truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 02:18 AM
Faraetail
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems Starting Truck

Hello all. I would like to say I was so relieved to find this forum a few hours ago. I have scoured it completely for answers, but the closest I've come across is a DIY for replacing a fuel pump (which I copied into a word doc for future reference lol.)

Anyways, the issue at hand is with a '00 1500. Not my truck, its the boyfriends. However, he's clueless when it comes to mechanics. So that leaves me to deal with this.

Truck ran fine up until about 5 hours ago now. Put gas in, drove it about 1/4 of a mile to a covered parking garage, and parked. Came back out about 3.5 hours later, to a truck that would not start. It would rev repeatedly, but would not fire up. Called boyfriend, he says it sounds like truck is out of gas. The tank has about 10 gallons in it so either the truck doesn't realise it has gas (which I doubt) or the gas isn't getting to where it needs to be? And its defintetly not the battery, cause that was starting up very strongly (radio, accessories, lights, all worked ... cell phone was even charging while truck was 'on'.). Main theory is fuel pump and/or filter... thru net research have discovered that both filter and pump is a single unit under tank, and have to drop tank to replace.

I had no choice but to leave it in the garage overnight tonight because there was nothing I could have done about it at the time. I'm gonna have to have it towed home tomorrow, but once we get it here, how do I go about figuring out what to fix? Is there any thing else that could cause the engine not to fire when attempting to turn over BESIDES the fuel pump?

Truck is to the best of my knowledge a '00 Ram Sport 1500 V6, standard engine, truck has been lifted but not sure how high. (16 inch 305tires).Fuel pump was replaced 2 years ago. Battery is year old, oil changed 3 weeks ago.

Other modifications include a completely custom $20,000 sound system with built in dvd player (installed in passenger side sun visor), retractable touch screen control panel, and , plus other electrical modifications to the engine that allow a standard 8 plug surge protector to be connected in under passenger seat and is ranoff ofthe battery. Viper alarm with remote start as well.

Any advice / assistance is mucho mucho appriciated!

Old 10-27-2007, 05:20 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: Problems Starting Truck

welcome to df...

turn the key on and listen for the pump... should turn on for 2 sec or so, then off. if it is on, check the fuel pressure at the rail. should be 49 psi. if that checks out, then look at the coil and the crank sensor. both will kill a motor like your experiencing.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:58 AM
kstroeher
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Step 1 would be to figure out if it's gas or spark you lack.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:22 AM
1997DodgeRam
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Faraetail. You said it was not the battery because it was reving strong. Was it turning all the way over till it started then stalling or failing to catch? If you have fuel and spark you may be lacking air. I had the problem with my 97 where the idle air controler was sticking due to carbon build up. When you attempt to start watch the RPMs and listen if the engine catches but stall imidiately you may not be getting air, you can clean (free) or replace ($30ish can't remember it was a while ago) the IAC if thats the problem and save the garage trip. If you don't need the truck ordon't have someone you trusttry a few of these before you go to a garage and crushed. Trouble shooting time can be the shady mech's ticket to big bills.

Quick Reply: Problems Starting Truck