2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

crankshaft position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 02:35 AM
moparornothing
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crankshaft position sensor

Please help. I have just swapped my worn 5.2 for a 5.9 and 46re trans. On my truck now i cannot seem to get the crankshaft position sensor to reach across the back of the heads to the harness. Any special way to get it to fit, i forgot where it fed to the harness. Does it have to go between the distributor and the intake or just behind?

Old 10-27-2007, 05:17 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: crankshaft position sensor

welcome to df...

the harness should drop the connnector right behind the passenger side head where the sensor is... I believe you should also be able to use the 5.2 harness on it as both motors share the same sensors & sensor placement. you will need to swap the pcm though. are you sure the connector your trying to connect goes to the crank sensor?

Old 10-27-2007, 10:21 AM
moparornothing

yeah, its just about 3 inches to short. Do you know which male end connector goes into the crank pos? Theres 2 of them on the same harness and there the same length and style. One is for the cam sensor (the one out of the distributor ?) and the other is for the crank position. One has an orange seal and the other has red, but neitherfemaleconnector has colour codes on it. If is start it up with these two sensors hooked up backwards will is fry anything?

Old 10-27-2007, 10:54 AM
OlsenG_360
Professional

i think you have to go around the back side of the distributor to make enough slack to reconnect the sensor. i just had mine out last week & trying to fish it between the oil pressure sending unit and dist ended up being quite a bit short.

Quick Reply: crankshaft position sensor