2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck wont idle....

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 02:43 AM
lucas3397
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Truck wont idle....

I will get it out check it as soon as I get the chance to. Thanks for all the help

Old 11-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Go Mango

My `97 1500 just started stalling recently in the cold mornings. Well sure enough, Iremovedthe air filter box and the AIC -two Torx T-25 screws an electrical plug. Squirted it with carb cleaner, slapped it back together. Also, look down in the throttle plates,it was pretty carboned up. Clean it there too-now my ewe runs like new!

Old 11-03-2007, 06:40 PM
SilverRam_01
Captain

ORIGINAL: rabbler

If the batt goes dead the PCM forgets it's learned IACposition. (happens to me sometimes when I forget to turn off the map light)
Once you get it started slowly back off the throttle. The rpm will drop low but if you can keep it running around 500 rpm the pcm should re adjust and learn the IAC.
My truck did the same thing the other night, battery went completely dead, started with a jump, died, etc... to get back up onto the main road, (through the vineyards, and up from the river), i had to stall it with my left foot on the brake when i would need to slow or stop, after about 10, 15 minutes, it quit dying, now it idles fine, right at 600 with no quiver at all. Drive it a good distance, and see if it will idle good again. worked for me, good luck, and thanks to all who helped me when I posted this up the other night.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:07 PM
SmokeGrinder
Professional

don't overlook the simple stuff, i found my battery dead and jumped it, SAME EXACT scenario as silver ram and lucas.........i'm was kicking myself asking what the hell is going on.......then i realized i never shut the lights off, even after i jumped it they were still on.....I shut the lights and it idled perfect....drive it some distance to let the battery charge alittle and then turned the lights on, good as new.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:32 AM
moparornothing

mine did that and it was the throttle body gasket that had cracked, but if it ran fine before then i don't know

Quick Reply: Truck wont idle....